cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ram upgrade wont boot (solved)

syngiun
Level 7
SOLVED. Re seated ram in all slots. Note to others, just because the ram "locks in" to the slots doesnt mean it makes good contact.

I own a g750jw from best buy. After a week I replaced the oem ram with 32gb (4x8) of patriot viper (pv316g160Lc9sk). And yes I verified 1.35v priorto purchasing ram. Booted once, crashed with a windows 8 error code kmode_exception_not_handled. Booted again to bios, crashed to power off. Now it wont boot at all. Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

hmscott
Level 12
syngiun@comcast.net wrote:
I own a g750jw from best buy. After a week I replaced the oem ram with 32gb (4x8) of patriot viper (pv316g160Lc9sk). And yes I verified 1.35v priorto purchasing ram. Booted once, crashed with a windows 8 error code kmode_exception_not_handled. Booted again to bios, crashed to power off. Now it wont boot at all. Thoughts?

You can try going into the BIOS, and select Defaults => F10 => Reboot => see if that helps. Try to power off and boot from cold boot next after doing the BIOS defaults.

If that doesn't work, you have a bad stick or two of RAM. It happens.

It used to be I would always test RAM 1 stick at a time. These days it is unusual to find bad sticks of RAM so I go ahead and just put in a full compliment and test - it's been a while since I have been disappointed with bad RAM in my consumer computers.

What with the pulling apart the whole darned laptop to get to the two RAM sockets under the keyboard, it looks like it might be time to do the 1 or 2 sticks testing before bolting things up. Too late for you this time, but a good heads up for all of us.

Testing the new memory in the RAM sockets under the back panel to make sure they are all functional is a good idea, if they are compatible with what is already installed.

See if you can luck out and only pull the 2 sticks under the back panel. If you can boot on the remaining 2 sticks under the keyboard, then run your favorite memory tests for a good period of time to make sure they are stable - I have seen the bad stick pass, and only fail when grouped larger than a pairing.

If you can't boot on those 2 sticks, leave them out and reopen the laptop. I haven't done the disassembly yet myself, but I don't see how it can run with everything apart to test 1 stick at a time in the sockets under the keyboard. If you can boot with things still disassembled then it's easy, just test 1 stick at a time till you find the problem stick, and then test for compatible pairings.

If you can't run with things apart, you are going to need to test the SO-DIMMs outside in another laptop/desktop. That would be the easiest. You could also reinstall the original 2 sticks that were under the keyboard, and test the new memory in the RAM sockets under the back panel, if they are compatible.

That's all I have right now, let us know how things work out for you, I will check back for questions - and answers 🙂

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Did you take the upgraded memory out and boot with the stock RAM again to test? If the system boots as normal then, it's likely one or more bad modules. You can test by removing one stick, then booting until the system does not crash on you.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Prostar Computer wrote:
Did you take the upgraded memory out and boot with the stock RAM again to test? If the system boots as normal then, it's likely one or more bad modules. You can test by removing one stick, then booting until the system does not crash on you.

What ProStar says 🙂