cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure R4BE 4930k overclock.

Seraphim85
Level 7
This is my second Asus board, first almost a decade ago. This would be my first enthuist level board. As such I have been out of the overclocking game long enough that most, if not all, the uefi settings are a bit foreign to me. Done alot of homework just getting to where I'm at now. My goal with my overclock is to gain a worthwhile daily overclock that maintains a low enough voltage that the temps are as low as possible.

MOBO: Rampage IV Black Edition
Bios: 0403
CPU: 4930k
Core Voltage: 1.23
Multiplier: 45
BCLCK: 100
RAM: Single G.Skill 32 gig 2400 mhz kit running at stock speed 1.65 volts.
Video Card: for now gtx 650 soon a 780TI probably from ASUS or EVGA's classified.
Cooler: h110 with Noctua NF-A14 fans in pull configuration at the top of the case. (didn't want to bother with removing it every couple of months to clear out the dust build up.)

Idle temp (when cpu underclocks to 1.2 Ghz): 40 on both OC panel and realtemp 3.7
Full load temp (when running intel burn test): 58-60 on OC panel 75-77 on realtemp 3.7

Really what I would like to do is keep the cpu from under clocking so low to improve general responsiveness and figure out if it's worth it to look into vcore offset. Is what I have managed so far a fluke? Burntest Aida64 and prime 95 have all ran for several hours with no issues. As well as any overall advice from the community.

Love the board and hoping to learn to master it in the end.
3 REPLIES 3

Raja
Level 13
I don't think you'll gain anything in terms of responsiveness if you turn off the power saving features unless you're doing low latency sound work. The ramp times are fast enough not to impact usage in most scenarios, and for the saving in power consumption, trump the slight delay they impose from a performance perspective. You can try Offset mode, and dial in your overclock systematically.

System responsiveness these days is largely governed by storage performance rather than CPU at the desktop. Any time the CPU is under load, the multiplier will ramp up quite quickly, so not much to be gained by turning those features off.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I don't think you'll gain anything in terms of responsiveness if you turn off the power saving features unless you're doing low latency sound work. The ramp times are fast enough not to impact usage in most scenarios, and for the saving in power consumption, trump the slight delay they impose from a performance perspective. You can try Offset mode, and dial in your overclock systematically.

System responsiveness these days is largely governed by storage performance rather than CPU at the desktop. Any time the CPU is under load, the multiplier will ramp up quite quickly, so not much to be gained by turning those features off.

-Raja

^ +1
I agree totally. I have C3-C6 enabled and full Speedstep and I have to say, my computer is extremely snappy and responsive. I can compare to my wife's mildly OCd R3E & i7-960 - mine is more responsive.

The response has come to the point that only installed drivers (software that slow the system due to bloated code) make a discernable difference in responsiveness. Things like badly coded user-input device drivers, and bloated printer drivers (like HP is infamous for). Also new web-centric stuff slows the system, as it is often checking the "cloud" for status.

Oh yeah, I should mention the minimum installed HP drivers for our HP all-in-one printer are not bad, it is the full software package that slows us down - I don't use that. It polls the printer too much also, slowing network traffic too.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Seraphim85
Level 7
Good to know. I'm just going to be using this system for gaming and dual booting Server 2012 for hyper-V hosts to try ideas from work on. That's why my first concern was keeping the ram at stock speed. Thought about getting a 64 gig kit but have heard it's pretty hard to break 4.4 ghz with all the slots full and keep the ram up to speed. I guess my only real issue now is to figure out how to use the vcore offsets. Just haven't had the time to bust out the laptop and sit down with the guide side by side with the bios yet. As this system is going to see alot of daily beatings I didn't want to push the power consumption/ heat load on it and shorten its lifespan.

I am curious though is the thermal sensor built into the board that unreliable or is it just the readouts on the OC panel that's the issue? Seeing that big of a margin between software readouts and it is weird. It almost reads like the sensor it's using is too far away from the CPU.