cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much difference in fps when charger plugged in. Why?

Geek_Shogunat
Level 7
Hi guys, I've noticed that when I play League of Legends I'm around 40-70 fps all maxed out without charger, and with charger plugged in I'm around 150-280 fps, why there is so much difference? And there is a way i can get more fps without the charger plugged in?

Thanks in advance.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
ASUS ROG G750JX-MBSH1

CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
MEMORY: 8 GB 800 MHz HYUNDAI RAM
GRAPHICS: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
STORAGE: 128 GB SSD ADATA (OS) 1TB HDD 5400 RPM (STORAGE)
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
There are different power profiles for your laptop. When you're on battery, usually it uses a more conservative power plan to ensure that you get the most of your battery. When you're connected to the wall, your laptop uses a higher performance power plan. That's why you're getting more FPS when plugged in.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
And to add to what Chino has said, no, there is no way to really boost your laptop to get FPS back that high. Why? because the technology that is used in the batteries is not able to sustain that high a power draw from the CPU+GPU for long periods of time, hence, flat battery in record times.

Basically there is no battery technology available that will provide the current required for this beast at laptop scale. You'd end up with a battery pack looking like it just came out of a Tesla Roadster and tipping the scale at "OH GOD, my femurs!!"
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71

Chino
Level 15
As a sidenote.

The whole point of gaming laptops is the mobility. That means you don't have to drag your monitor, CPU, keyboard and mice to LAN parties or trips away from home. Although the battery is there, it isn't meant to be used to game on.

Geek_Shogunat
Level 7
So what do you guys recommend? Play while plugged in at high/ultra graphics? or play with mid/high graphics, but unplugged. I heard that keeping the charger plugged in is bad for the battery. Also, if i want to play maxed out, should i take off the battery and play just with the charger plugged in?

I think I've just made so much questions 😕
ASUS ROG G750JX-MBSH1

Geek Shogunat wrote:
So what do you guys recommend? Play while plugged in at high/ultra graphics? or play with mid/high graphics, but unplugged. I heard that keeping the charger plugged in is bad for the battery. Also, if i want to play maxed out, should i take off the battery and play just with the charger plugged in?
I think I've just made so much questions 😕

The battery will out last your ownership of the laptop, I wouldn't worry about leaving it plugged in all the time. If you are concerned, I would purchase an extra battery and AC adapter to make sure you always have a working backup should you need to get service / replacement.

If you play on battery you are depleting the battery, requiring recharging, there are about 300-1000 charging cycles in the life of the battery - full discharge / full charge - you will wear out the battery if you live on battery between charges.

Play with the AC plugged in, its better. Make profiles for games based on AC / Battery and you will likely be able to play while mobile on battery - many games, maybe not all, but keep a list of games to keep for mobile play and play the tough on GFX ones when on AC.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
hmscott wrote:
The battery will out last your ownership of the laptop, I wouldn't worry about leaving it plugged in all the time. If you are concerned, I would purchase an extra battery and AC adapter to make sure you always have a working backup should you need to get service / replacement.

If you play on battery you are depleting the battery, requiring recharging, there are about 300-1000 charging cycles in the life of the battery - full discharge / full charge - you will wear out the battery if you live on battery between charges.

Play with the AC plugged in, its better. Make profiles for games based on AC / Battery and you will likely be able to play while mobile on battery - many games, maybe not all, but keep a list of games to keep for mobile play and play the tough on GFX ones when on AC.

Listen to this man, he's our father G750. ;d

Exactly what hmscott said. The battery doesn't like to feed the 770m the food it wants, that's what the power brick is for.

Geek_Shogunat
Level 7
Hmscott, darnasus, others. Many thanks I was really concerned about that. I'll do what scott says. ROG members are awesome, like a family.
ASUS ROG G750JX-MBSH1

Geek Shogunat wrote:
Hmscott, darnasus, others. Many thanks I was really concerned about that. I'll do what scott says. ROG members are awesome, like a family.

Welcome! It's always great to share and help around here! Hope you enjoy your ROG experience. >;3