cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD install on a ASUS Rampage GENE III

sehlat
Level 10
I'd like to replace my old mechanical OS hard drive with an SSD on my ASUS Rampage GENE III motherboard. I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I've heard that the Marvell SATA 6Gb/s Ports are a bottleneck on this particular motherboard. Should I even try installing an SSD on the Marvell Ports, or use the other Intel Controller ports instead?
7 REPLIES 7

darkage
Level 11
use the intel ports, place the boot disk in sata 1 and its done

sehlat
Level 10
OK. What I want to do is clone my OS drive, then swap it in. I also have a game drive, but I want to leave that alone. Do I need to change anything in the BIOS, or in the registry, since I'm not reinstalling Windows? And would switching to a SSD even bring me any performance improvements?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do you know what your current SATA mode is for the OS drive? You ideally want to have your new SSD OS a fresh OS install on ACHI mode. Do not use any other port but the Intel ports please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I bought my system from a builder. Unfortunately, they installed my OS 1TB HHD on the 6Gb/s Marvell SATA port, then set it to IDE. The other 1TB drive is connected to the other Marvell port and also set to IDE, but it's not in a RAID configuration.I'm starting to think that reinstalling Windows would be my best option because of the way my system drives were connected originally. I would then be able set everything up cleanly with the new OS drive on the Intel connectors using AHCI. What other AHCI sub-settings would I need to set things to?

Another question. If I switched both my current HHD's to the Intel ports and set them both to AHCI, what speed gain would I expect from just my old mechanical drives?

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is a good idea I agree to do a fresh OS install on your SSD> When you do the install do not have any of the mechanical drives fitted just the SSD. That way the OS does not put the boot record on odd places. Also do a Clear CMOS before you do the install. Makes life easier in the long run I found.

As to speed, well you will or should find your hard drives are more responsive using the native SATA ports, they will not suddenly become blindingly fast. Mech drives are not fast at all when compared to SSD.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you for the information. I know that the mechanical drives won't be much faster, but I was just curious and every little bit helps. At least until I can splurge for that nice, new SSD really soon.

sehlat
Level 10
Another question concerning this issue. In the interim, I'm going to switch over my HHD's to the my motherboard's Intel SATA Controller and use AHCI mode. What's the best way to disable the Marvell Controller?