cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED]Problems restarting/shutting down G750JH (Problem Changed)

JarekCyphus
Level 7
Greetings ROG. I have a problem that developed after the new year. My G750JH (Bios G750JHA.203) seldom properly shuts down or restarts when prompted. Windows appears to shut down (screen and external monitor are off), but the KB lighting and power button remain illuminated.

I use CCleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Auslogics Registry Booster, and Malwarebytes weekly. Being that I have a very actively used external HDD, I defrag that drive weekly. I defrag the onboard HDD monthly Of course, I never defrag the SSD. Malwarebytes quick and flash scans daily and full scans weekly. No issues there.

Event logs hinted at two failures to properly restart windows twice, but every daily event logged a true and true Kernal-Boot event.

I did notice a frequent warning that says "Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571 for more information."

I also see UserModePowerService pop up a lot.

I ran a memtest, as well, and the RAM checked good.

I've checked the BIOS and I disabled secure boot, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. The issue seems to be in a power cycling feature/kernal/whatever. Figuring out what is the trick, and I'd much rather avoid doing a system restore to December (which would unfortunately result in a lot of micromanagement and redownloading of games and software).

I bought this laptop back in October and it otherwise ran superbly up to this point, but every time I've had to restart the computer (or power it down) using the power button, I've noticed degraded gaming performance (losing about a 2-3fps average in SWTOR and BF4 with each manual restart).

Note that I also use Razer Game Booster. It's helpful, but I wonder if its unique power profile is wreaking havoc on my system.

Has anyone encountered this issue or have any idea on how best to proceed? Thank you for your time.

[SOLVED] Disabling bluetooth drivers fixes this problem 100% of the time for me.
20 REPLIES 20

angrylemon
Level 10
I had a similar issue recently where my laptop would restart but the lights were still on. I found out it was the bluetooth driver so I downgraded the driver and then reinstalled the current driver for my G750JX from the ASUS site. For the bluetooth settings, all options under the Share and Sync tab need to be disabled also. Also if that doesn't work, you can always try uninstalling the graphics driver using DDU in safe mode without internet enabled then reinstall the current driver while the internet is still disabled.

hmscott
Level 12
JarekCyphus wrote:
Greetings ROG. I have a problem that developed after the new year. My G750JH (Bios G750JHA.203) seldom properly shuts down or restarts when prompted. Windows appears to shut down (screen and external monitor are off), but the KB lighting and power button remain illuminated.

After updating drivers to the latest, and disabling all the sharing/discovery/etc options for BT, I still get hung at shutdown - so I disable BT before shutdown/reboot, and that works solid - quick shutdown and restart.

I am hoping a patch comes through that fixes this from Microsoft soon. 🙂

JarekCyphus
Level 7
Ah very interesting. I'll try this when I get home tonight. If that is indeed the culprit, I'll keep that feature disabled, as I currently do not use bluetooth with my ASUS.

I did change my power settings and I can properly shut down my laptop if I tap the power button (plugged in), so it's not too bad, but I'll try that trick.

Having the same shutdown problem I found out that this occurse when I have used the CD/Blu-Ray drive. Soon as this drive has being used, the shutdown problem is there. The first access to the CD goes OK but after a cd/dvd swap, Windows become unstable. If I don't swap but shutdown/restart after CD access, Windows hangs in shutdown for minuts, sometimes for ever. Reinstalled the CD driver. Did not help. Need some help with this issue.

JarekCyphus
Level 7
My problem completely changed, but it is twofold. I disabled my bluetooth, since I don't use it anyway, and my shutdown/restart problems have not since re-occurred. That's the good news. The bad news is that SOMETIME after updating to BIOS G750JHA.204, two VERY pesky problems appeared:

1. After the laptop has been turned off awhile, it fails to post past the ROG splash (cycling power once always fixes it)
2. My battery no longer reads accurately, and when "fully charged" (I'm assuming), the battery LED alternates green and orange. No critical battery alerts occur in battery mode, and the laptop now shuts off without warning instead of properly hibernating/shutting down.

So the problem changed, and I'm not sure what caused it, but EZ Flash won't let me roll back my BIOS, either. I'm not sure what WHQL problem ASUS allegedly "fixed" with the BIOS update, but I—to my knowledge—haven't had any WHQL issues. In hindsight, I should have stayed on JHA.203, but what's done is done. Now I just gotta figure out how to roll back and see if that's actually the problem.

Any thoughts? Isn't there a way to do this in WinFlash?

JarekCyphus wrote:
My problem completely changed, but it is twofold. I disabled my bluetooth, since I don't use it anyway, and my shutdown/restart problems have not since re-occurred. That's the good news. The bad news is that SOMETIME after updating to BIOS G750JHA.204, two VERY pesky problems appeared:

1. After the laptop has been turned off awhile, it fails to post past the ROG splash (cycling power once always fixes it)
2. My battery no longer reads accurately, and when "fully charged" (I'm assuming), the battery LED alternates green and orange. No critical battery alerts occur in battery mode, and the laptop now shuts off without warning instead of properly hibernating/shutting down.

So the problem changed, and I'm not sure what caused it, but EZ Flash won't let me roll back my BIOS, either. I'm not sure what WHQL problem ASUS allegedly "fixed" with the BIOS update, but I—to my knowledge—haven't had any WHQL issues. In hindsight, I should have stayed on JHA.203, but what's done is done. Now I just gotta figure out how to roll back and see if that's actually the problem.

Any thoughts? Isn't there a way to do this in WinFlash?

JarekCyphus, I am running the 204JHA BIOS and haven't experienced these issues. You might try going into the BIOS and setting Optimized Defaults, power off/on, and see if the symptoms stop.

If you want to roll back to the previous BIOS, you can do it from winflash by adding the /nodate option to the command line, or add /nodate to the shortcut Target line -> Right-click => Properties => Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe" /nodate

You might also try resetting the Power Plan option battery settings manually to one extreme, save - reboot, and move them back to what you want them to be long term.

Let us know what works for you 🙂

hmscott wrote:
JarekCyphus, I am running the 204JHA BIOS and haven't experienced these issues. You might try going into the BIOS and setting Optimized Defaults, power off/on, and see if the symptoms stop.

If you want to roll back to the previous BIOS, you can do it from winflash by adding the /nodate option to the command line, or add /nodate to the shortcut Target line -> Right-click => Properties => Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe" /nodate

You might also try resetting the Power Plan option battery settings manually to one extreme, save - reboot, and move them back to what you want them to be long term.

Let us know what works for you 🙂

I did actually roll back the BIOS and it fixed my splash posting issue, now I'm just crossing my fingers that it fixed my battery. I did some college paper writing on battery mode to run it down (which it did, instead of staying stuck at 90%), and I successfully deep-cycled the battery. Now it's charging up at a pretty reasonable pace; I only hope it reaches the high 90s and doesn't start flickering the LED again. *crosses fingers*

Thanks for everybody's help!

Crmn1625
Level 7
I PM'd you my wall of text from another post "G750JH powers off during boot" and hope that helps with issue 1). I have also had issue 2) happen and set my system settings to at least notify me on "low battery" so that I could do something before my laptop looses power. There does not seem to be a notify on critical option that I could find. Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - "Choose when to turn off the display" - "Change advanced power settings" - make sure you are editing your active power plan , go down to battery, select options you want changed - for me battery critical at 5%, shutdown, battery low at 10% and notity to on. I know this does not get rid of the initial problem of not seeing the battery not charging but it keeps me from losing data that I may have been working on.
G750JH-DB72-CA
250GB SSD/ 750GB HDD/ 16GB RAM
Windows 8.1:)

noone
Level 8
you defrag your SSD? Thought you were not supposed to...