ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

DIMM_C1 defective, is there no way to get my Rampage IV Extreme to boot using other?

I've been running with a 4x Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz @ CL9 @ 4x 4GB configuration for some time now but there's only been 12GB available for a few months. Today I had to do some rearrangement in my chase so I decided to troubleshoot this problem and I've figured the DDR3 DIMM_C1 (64bit, 240-pin module) seems to be defective as all memory modules are indeed working and none are registered when inserted into this specific socket on the motherboard. For those who don't know the DIMM_C1 socket is the red socket all the way to the right when looking at the motherboard.

I don't really mind going from 16GB down to 12GB as I'm not remotely close to utilise that large amount of RAM anyways but I hate to loose the benefits of four-channel memory and the added bandwidth it provides.

Here I thought this would have a really easy fix.. Why not just start using the black sockets instead of the red ones? I know that Asus recommends utilising the red ones first, and then start utilising the black ones if you'd want to add even more memory modules in your system. But as one of my red sockets are dead I figured I'd simply put my four memory modules in the black sockets in order to get four-channel memory and all my 16GB of RAM online and up and running again, I guess the over clocking capabilities and whatnot of the black sockets might not be as efficient as the red ones but it's better than rendering one of my modules completely useless.

For some reason this is not working out at all.. I'm getting stuck at booting, the BIOS won't even POST when having all the modules in the black sockets. The debug LCD gets stuck at "65" and it's not getting anywhere. Resetting the BIOS, removing the CMOS battery etc does nothing to battle this annoying issue.

Is there really no way to get the Asus Rampage IV Extreme to POST using only the black memory sockets instead of the red ones? How come this doesn't seem to be possible? Am I really stuck with only being able to utilise three-channel memory and in order to get my last memory modules running I have to run it single-channel in one of the black sockets while having all the others in the three red ones that are actually working?

ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

One thing that is very strange with DIMM Socket C1 is that even though it won't use any memory modules inserted into the socket, the actual BIOS is registering and showing the memory module when I look at the GPU/DIMM Post --> DIMM Post part of the BIOS.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Mate that is not right, what you can do is go to the A_2 and B_2 and so on modules. It will not make any different to your system performance.

Or if the slot is defective, inspect the slot for bits of contaminate. It happens sometimes that stuff will get in the slots and prevent them from working correctly.

Or if you are not happy then RMA the board if you have tested the slot with known working stick or ram.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Wow, we have seen a lot of this complaint lateley on this forum, the prob is the complaints are usually involving RIVBE.
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.