cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with VGA cards preventing sleep. How to handle?

Bateman
Level 7
With no or moderate overclock I have no problem waking from sleep.

But when going over 4,2 GHz it will always hang with error code 30 or 40 when booting from sleep. Also the led for VGA or PCI lanes where the cards are is lit. The monitor won't turn on either.

I have tried different BIOSes, both new and old, but went back to 4206 because of the annoying turbo bug in newer versions.

I have been spending two whole days trying to fix this with various configurations. Right now I have high voltages and low memory speed to exclude CPU or mem problems = the computer is 100 % stable but won't wake up from sleep correct.

What are your ideas? Is it possible to somehow overclock the PCI bus or anything to help? I have 2 x GTX670.

Thanks,
Daniel
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your system is not stable. It is as simple as that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Your system is not stable. It is as simple as that.

Sorry, maybe I used a bad expression. But even when I use settings with good margins like slow memory settings and high vcore, vtt, vccsa and so on it won't resume från sleep, even though it is Prime and AIDA64 stable.

So I thought that maybe someone here would have an idea what to config in BIOS, if the leds are true and there is something wrong with the vga cards.

Thanks,

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello again - I accept that your system is able to pass AIDA and Prime, but the fact remains it does not wake correctly from sleep. Now waking from sleep is one of the hardest things for a system to do, and is a key part of my system stability procedures when building systems. I am not going to go into a long debate about the value of stress testing but will simply say that all they show is your systems ability to pass them at that time. The value as an over all system gauge for stability is over rated and out dated due to the changing landscape of PC use. Yes I use Prime as a heat generator but nothing else.

OK moving on. Let us now together work out what is preventing your OS from functioning as it should.

Could you please list all your hardware that is connected or fitted to the motherboard, include the make and model of your memory, and PSU. As well as all USb devices.

If you have made any changes in OS please note those too, all of them please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Bateman
Level 7
Thank you,

I am running Win 8.1 pro. I have tried reinstalling quite a few times, using only drivers from Windows update, from Asus or from OEM. But it made no difference for my computer to resume from sleep.

I have a RIVE with 3930k and custom loop with VRM cooling, 4 x 8 GB Team Group Xtreem Vulcan 2133 MHz. Corsair Force GT SSD. 2 x EVGA GTX670 FTW. Asus Xonar DGX. Corsair AX1200 PSU. A USB keyboard.

I use my computer mostly for VMware lab and gaming.

I have a great 4.5 GHz / 2133 MHz offset setup which have been absolutely flawless in both day to day use, intense virtualization and stress testing. But I miss a working sleep mode.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is your memory from a single kit? If yes please link me to the kit that you are using and I will look at the data sheet to see what setting is causing the issue. Certainly sleep is a memory related thing. If you are using two different kits to make up the 32GB then you are going to have to revisit your memory settings to ensure sleep stability 🙂

Nice system by the way.

Thanks! I use one kit. Here is the best info I could find:
http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/catalog/detail/data/en/29/618/a2rdfT.html

It's the 2133CL11 I have.

See attached photo for more detail.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What you can do is make a note of the XMP #1 values and manually set them (again if you have done so before).

What we can do is be very systematic in how we set up. So please list your hardware and we can take it from there.

HiVizMan wrote:
What you can do is make a note of the XMP #1 values and manually set them (again if you have done so before).

What we can do is be very systematic in how we set up. So please list your hardware and we can take it from there.

Thanks for your help. I may have a possible solution here.

I discovered that it was possible to manually order a UEFI BIOS for my EVGA graphics cards.

Right now sleep is working, what I have done is to change the BIOS on my graphics cards to a UEFI compatible, updated RIVE BIOS to 4802, disabled CSM and disabled all C-states.