cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition Random shutdown/restart

LCRava
Level 7
I am very disappointed with this board. This is board number 4 and I cannot escape this dreaded random reboot issue.

For the problem:

I am able to get in the BIOS the first time (F1 for setup). After that, as soon as I change the SATA option to RAID (no other changes are made), I get a reboot, the board hangs on code 01 and goes onto an infinite loop of shutdowns/reboots with code 01.

If I leave it on ACHI mode, I get a missing operating system message. I tried both BIOS 0403 and 0507 and I have the same issue with both.

The other 3 boards I was able to at least get into Windows with RAID enabled and all same components.

Any ideas are welcome.

Specs:

Corsair AX860i
Intel Ivy-E 4960X
G-Skill 64GB 2400 RAM KIT (the only one on QVL running @ 1333)
GTX Titan
Samsung 840 Pro 512 x2 (RAID 0)

Thanks in advance for the help.
41 REPLIES 41

LCRava
Level 7
Ok, just did another test.

>Used clear CMOS.

>Only change in BIOS was disabling Q-Fan (to not get CPU fan error), and left it in AHCI mode.

>As soon as I hit F10 and enter, the PC restarted, worked its way to code 01 and started the infinite looping process.

I am sending this board back on Monday and I am hoping someone from Asus gives me a good reason to try out a 5th board, or I'll be forced to go to MSI and call it a day.

LCRava
Level 7
Wow. After the F1 to get to BIOS, even if I don't change anything, the motherboard goes to code 01 and starts the looping process again...

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have had the same symptoms with four boards is that correct?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Obviously you didn't take my previous advice and appease the pc gods.....really though I might be for checking that CPU....

Cool, I think I figured it out...somewhat. I changed to the second BIOS (pressed the button on the board) and it booted into windows without issues. Will continue to test and post findings. Any idea why that would happen?

LCRava
Level 7
To be fair I got 3 bad boards. One of them was working flawlessly but it died due to an undetected leak from the middle of the block of my first Video Card. 3 drops was all it took to fry the board. I am 100% certain all the other components are working 100%. I tested them all (with the exception of the CPU of course) on a Maximus VI Gene I am using on another build.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Did you update the 1st BIOS chip? could have been a somewhat corrupted flash, or, maybe the chip is bad.

Raja
Level 13
Get the system up and running and then lets take a look at the DRAM side of things. Changing boards will not fix a setup issue in UEFI (hardware failures only).

LiveOrDie
Level 11
are you using a water block?