cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Help Installing/Setting-up msata

Leadsamich
Level 7
About a year ago I bought my Asus G46VW and since I've got it I've been wanting to upgrade its boot speed and some programs by upgrading it with an msata. After reading some forums many people who installed a full size msata had to hold it down with some electrical tape. I found it easy enough to take apart so I decided I might has well try upgrading it. I bought a Mushkin Atlas MSATA Deluxe and installed it. I put the whole computer back together and the msata doesn't seem to show up anywhere. I'm not sure if the Mushkin isn't compatible, if I need to install some drivers, or if I need to go into the BIOS.

Any suggestions or solutions are highly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

joelswatson
Level 7
heya,

i have a g55vw, and my partner has a g46vw, and both of our laptops have 240gb mushkin msata ssds, my laptop has 4x 4gb ddr3 1600 mushkin blackline, and she has 2x 4gb of the same ram, and both of ours work fine,
but with the g46vw, i had to install windows on the ssd first, and then plug in her 1tb 2.5 drive, cause it wanted to put the boot manager on the first drive, which the bois detected the 1tb as the first drive (truecrypt likes the os and boot manager to be on the same drive), but on my g55vw it was no problem, i had my msata and 2x 1tb's and win7ult installed fine (no stuff around)

well all that didnt help with your problem, but here goes, when you installed the msata, did you break off that little stand for the half height msata? if not, then do that, if so, how have you secured the msata, i used some industrial electrical 100mile/hr tape with the cloth in it, and its not going nowhere.

so yeah, i would double check the msata is installed correctly,

i hope that helps / cheers

massiveoni

joelswatson wrote:
heya,

i have a g55vw, and my partner has a g46vw, and both of our laptops have 240gb mushkin msata ssds, my laptop has 4x 4gb ddr3 1600 mushkin blackline, and she has 2x 4gb of the same ram, and both of ours work fine,
but with the g46vw, i had to install windows on the ssd first, and then plug in her 1tb 2.5 drive, cause it wanted to put the boot manager on the first drive, which the bois detected the 1tb as the first drive (truecrypt likes the os and boot manager to be on the same drive), but on my g55vw it was no problem, i had my msata and 2x 1tb's and win7ult installed fine (no stuff around)

well all that didnt help with your problem, but here goes, when you installed the msata, did you break off that little stand for the half height msata? if not, then do that, if so, how have you secured the msata, i used some industrial electrical 100mile/hr tape with the cloth in it, and its not going nowhere.

so yeah, i would double check the msata is installed correctly,

i hope that helps / cheers

massiveoni

I have the msata held in with electrical tape and it doesn't move. I have already grinded down the post that gets in the way of placing in a full sized msata. I have windows 8. How would I install windows on the msata if the computer doesn't even show that the msata is installed?

how did you break that little stand? I'm upgrading soon and would like to know

Avinrog wrote:
how did you break that little stand? I'm upgrading soon and would like to know

I took the whole motherboard, covered it in plastic to prevent tiny prices of metal to get anywhere on the motherboard, then grinding down with a metal grinding bit to a drill.

panosbob
Level 7
Did you ever fix it ? If yes how ?

jacobssn
Level 7
I had a 256GB mSATA from aliexpress installed:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KingFast-SSD-256GB-mSATA-SSD-256MB-cache-6Gb-s-mSATA-3-Internal-Solid...
I ran it in raid 0 for a while, which was fun (and unnecessary for my applications) 😃

I installed it w/o grinding down the post at all (added a piece of electrical tape in between and to hold it down). It did require me to loosen up one screw on the right side of the mobo in order to not stress it (bend it).
Of course I also had to remove the screw that belongs to the post too.
G46VW | 3740QM @3.7GHz (All cores) | SanDisk 960GB SSD | 16GB Kingston LoVo | GTX 660M | GTX 970 via Thunderbolt