Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z and G.Skill TridentX Memory

I recently built myself an AMD FX-8350 gaming rig, and purchased some G.Skill TridentX memory for it. (My system Specs are below)

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0gbz
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
    G.Skill TridentX 2133mhz 16gb (2x8GB) Memory
    Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum
    Kingston Hyper-X 120gb SSD

However I'm having awful trouble getting my motherboard to see all 16gb of memory. If I install the memory into slots 2 and 4 (the red slots as stated in the User Manual), the BIOS only lists 8gb of memory in the system information screen, despite the fact it shows both 8gb sticks in a separate screen. When I boot into Windows (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit) it lists 16gb under system Info, but states that only 7.9gb is 'usable'.

I've tried swapping the sticks round, and trying them individually, and both of the sticks are working fine. After much trial and error I've managed to get the BIOS to state 16gb on the information screen by installing the DIMM's in slots 1 and 2. Using this configuration Windows shows 16gb (15.9gb usable), but by putting the memory into slots 1 and 2 means it only runs in Single channel mode and not Dual channel like it should if it was installed in slots 2 and 4.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their Motherboard/memory?

I'm based in the North East just outside Durham, and wondered if anyone reasonably local has the same Motherboard, and would be willing to let me try their memory in my machine (I'd obviously bring my rig to you). That way I could eliminate if it's my memory or my motherboard
    Last edited by DJ_Bucho; 01-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello mate, could you just pop them in 1 and 3 works just fine there. Not to worry what the book says at this point.

Please try that and see.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Hello mate, could you just pop them in 1 and 3 works just fine there. Not to worry what the book says at this point.
    Please try that and see.
    I’m pretty sure during all of my trial and error attempts to get the full 16gb recognized by Windows, I tried that configuration, but I’ve tried so many different things now I’ve actually started to forget what I have and haven’t tried. I’ll give that a go when I get in from work tonight, (although it’ll be pretty late). Thanks for the reply, and I’ll report back with my findings :-)

What you could do if that does not work is follow the guide in my sig for Memtest86+ - that way you will find out if it is hardware related, and what hardware is the issue.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kshafe777 PC Specs
    kshafe777 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XI Formula
    Processor9900k
    Memory (part number)Trident Z RGB 64 GB 3600 speed
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 OC
    Graphics Card #2EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 OC
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB
    CPU CoolerHeatkiller nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard G.Skill KM780 RGB Cherry Mx
    Mouse Roccat LEADR
    Headset AKG K7XX
    Headset/Speakers Razer Nomo Pro
    OS 10 pro
    Network RouterRaptor

this may sound strange.. but, because i had EXACTLY the same problem.. lol.. are they properly seated? i had mine "in" but the back end, or bottom, if you will, wasn't seated correctly.. i thought it was.. but it wasn't. I know it sounds strange, but like i said, i had the EXACT same messages you did. worth a shot
    "Better to try and Fail, then not try at all" ~ Michael Jordan
    favorite YouTuber - KDSTech - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0...iWiBx3v6CNR3yw

kshafe777 you are not alone in having done that. I know of many many folks who because of the new latching system are fooled into thinking the memory is firmly seated. You actually still need to hear the two clicks as the memory is pressed firmly into place.

Good point.

ROG Member Array

Hello mate, could you just pop them in 1 and 3 works just fine there. Not to worry what the book says at this point. Please try that and see.
    Ok, so I stuck my two memory sticks in slots 1 and 3 as you suggested. The BIOS only recognises 8gb in the system information screen, but again shows that two memory slots are populated (each with an 8gb stick) on the screen that shows what's plugged into the PCI-Express & Memory slots.

What you could do if that does not work is follow the guide in my sig for Memtest86+ - that way you will find out if it is hardware related, and what hardware is the issue.
    I followed your guide and wrote down exactly what I was trying each time. I tried 1 memory stick at a time. The results are as follows:

Stick 1 - Slot 1 - Bios shows 8gb - Windows Shows 8gb - Memory PASSED memtest86+
    Stick 1 - Slot 2 - Bios shows 8gb - Windows Shows 8gb - Memory PASSED memtest86+
    Stick 1 - Slot 3 - Machine failed to post. Followed by a series of beeps. Nothing on Screen at all.
    Stick 1 - Slot 4 - Machine failed to post. Followed by a series of beeps. Nothing on Screen at all.

Stick 2 - Slot 1 - Bios shows 8gb - Windows Shows 8gb - Memory PASSED memtest86+
    Stick 2 - Slot 2 - Bios shows 8gb - Windows Shows 8gb - Memory PASSED memtest86+
    Stick 2 - Slot 3 - Machine failed to post. Followed by a series of beeps. Nothing on Screen at all.
    Stick 2 - Slot 4 - Machine failed to post. Followed by a series of beeps. Nothing on Screen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kshafe777 View Post
    this may sound strange.. but, because i had EXACTLY the same problem.. lol.. are they properly seated? i had mine "in" but the back end, or bottom, if you will, wasn't seated correctly.. i thought it was.. but it wasn't. I know it sounds strange, but like i said, i had the EXACT same messages you did. worth a shot
    Thanks for your help mate, but I've had these sticks of RAM in and out SO many times. I double checked after each of my test that the sticks were pushed home fully and they definitely were.

After that I tried my memory in my dad's machine and it worked perfectly, the BIOS saw all 16gb straight away, as did windows and CPU-Z reported that it was running in Dual mode as it should be.
    I tried my dad's RAM in my machine and again it only shows 8gb in BIOS. I then tried both my dad's RAM and my RAM (so 32gb) in my machine and the BIOS only states 16gb of system memory despite the fact it shows four memory slots are populated (each with an 8gb stick) on the screen that shows what's plugged into the PCI-Express & Memory slots.

I can only think that my Motherboard has failed, as it's never worked as it should since I've got it. Does anyone have any other suggestions or should I see about returning it under warranty (something I've never done before so don't really know how to go about it).

You are correct your motherboard has two memory slots that are defective.

As you are based in the UK you simply contact the retailer where you bought your motherboard. They will arrange a RMA number and you send the board to them. There they will confirm the problem and replace the board.

ROG Member Array

You are correct your motherboard has two memory slots that are defective.
    As you are based in the UK you simply contact the retailer where you bought your motherboard. They will arrange a RMA number and you send the board to them. There they will confirm the problem and replace the board.
    I bought this board 2nd hand from eBay, but I do have the original receipt and purchase date. It was bought from Amazon.co.uk on May 1st 2013, and I know the warranty is 3 years and is by serial number. What are my options?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Bucho View Post
    I recently built myself an AMD FX-8350 gaming rig, and purchased some G.Skill TridentX memory for it. (My system Specs are below)

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0gbz
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
    G.Skill TridentX 2133mhz 16gb (2x8GB) Memory
    Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum
    Kingston Hyper-X 120gb SSD

However I'm having awful trouble getting my motherboard to see all 16gb of memory. If I install the memory into slots 2 and 4 (the red slots as stated in the User Manual), the BIOS only lists 8gb of memory in the system information screen, despite the fact it shows both 8gb sticks in a separate screen. When I boot into Windows (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit) it lists 16gb under system Info, but states that only 7.9gb is 'usable'.

I've tried swapping the sticks round, and trying them individually, and both of the sticks are working fine. After much trial and error I've managed to get the BIOS to state 16gb on the information screen by installing the DIMM's in slots 1 and 2. Using this configuration Windows shows 16gb (15.9gb usable), but by putting the memory into slots 1 and 2 means it only runs in Single channel mode and not Dual channel like it should if it was installed in slots 2 and 4.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their Motherboard/memory?

I'm based in the North East just outside Durham, and wondered if anyone reasonably local has the same Motherboard, and would be willing to let me try their memory in my machine (I'd obviously bring my rig to you). That way I could eliminate if it's my memory or my motherboard

There are only 2 possibilities. First their is some debris in one of the memory slots and you don't have one of the ram modules seated properly. If that is the case take out both modules and use some compressed air to blow out any debris in the slots and then reseat the ram. That happened to me once. If that fails to solve your problem, then run memtest x86 form a bootable cd and test each module separately and then together. The memory should run for at least 3 hours for each stick.
    If it shows memory errors ten you have a bad module and should get it replaced. Remember first clean out the memory slots, that is the most likely cause of your problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast