cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Z87] Windows 8.1 Fast Startup and Hibernation work sporadically or not at all

Quad5Ny
Level 7
I'm going insane trying to figure out why hibernation and fast startup will not work predictably. My rig is a pretty standard build: Z87-Pro, 4770K, 16GB DDR3-1866, EVGA GTX 670 (w/ GOP Support), Corsair AX860, Samsung 830 Pro/840 Evo, LG Blu-ray burner.

I've done a clean install 4 times, and must have done over 200 cold boots testing every BIOS setting and have tried stock and updated drivers. Nothing freekin works.

I can't even get a boot trace with xbootmgr because when FB or Hibernate fails, so does the trace. If I get lucky Windows will log Event ID: 29, Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. Other times the system will just power off during the Windows logo.

I don't usually ask for help like this without providing any solid information, but help!

EDIT: BIOS Settings
207 REPLIES 207

HiVizMan
Level 40
Would you please run memtest86+ as per my guide in my sig. You can use the latest stable version 5.1 I believe it is on the same download page I link too.

We need to make sure your memory is 100% as sleep and fast boot are so memory dependant. Please do follow the guide to the letter.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Memtest86 ran fine until I quit the test this morning when I woke up (about 7 hours). Besides I burned in the system when I built it with IBT, ADIA64 & Furmark+Prime95 w/error checking (AVX2/FME3 version) and had no problems. I've not had a single error with Windows 8.1 during normal use, encoding or gaming, heck I don't even know what the Windows 8 BugCheck screen looks like =P.

Sleep works great I use it all the time, I've even let the computer sleep for 4 days and returned and played a 6 hour session of BF4/Crysis 3 without any trouble. That aside, anything that uses the hibernation mechanism in Win8 seems to fail randomly.

I don't care about Fast Startup seeing as my startup times are about 10 seconds from pressing power but not having hibernation is a real b*tch.

These are my preferred BIOS settings; https://www.dropbox.com/s/a45ix1tb9gq1flb/Z87_PRO_BIOS_Settings.txt but as of right now I did a clean install of 8.1 on my 840 Evo and am running with Optimized Defaults.

I don't want to jinx myself but it seems to be the USB receiver from the Logitech K400R that was causing the problem. I'll do some more testing and post back if the K400 was not the culprit. *fingers crossed*

EDIT: It's not the USB receiver. I'm going to install Windows 7 and see if that works.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Third keyboard related thread today, amazing how they come in batches. Thanks for the follow up will check back on Wednesday. Away tomorrow.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Do you have Asus AI Suite installed? My PC wouldn't go into hibernate mode at all with AI Suite installed, it kept messing with my power settings. My rig is: 4770K, Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz, Asus 7970 DirectCU II, Seasonic Platinum 860w.

Just got my new machine, not a build, purchased a G750JH, love it.
I was most impressed with the boot time, I always do a reboot before I start a game session, and it was booting within 10 seconds.
Now after I installed Windows 8.1, it takes 2-5 minutes to boot. At first, I did a system recovery and everything was normal,
and then reinstalled 8.1, and again, problems.
Also after 8.1 gets installed, NVidia GeForce experience wont load, and AC3 wont install.

Anyone else that's experiencing similar issues have any tips?

edit0r
Level 7
I have the EXACT same problem and I've tried EVERYTHING possible... I am struggling with this problem for almost 2 months now... I am so tired of it.
I've done so many tests that I don't know where to start:

My config is the following:
1.Asus Z87 Deluxe latest bios 1802 (tried with the previous version and it made no difference)
2. Nvidia video card 780ti
3. SoundBlaster ZXR soundcard (tried without it and it made no difference)
3. 4770K (It's not overclocked and never was due to my system instability)
4. Corsair AX860i (tried with the usb dongle and without... made no difference)
5. LG Blu-ray burner
6. Intel 330 240gb ssd
7. Corsair 32GB DDR3-1866

I've installed the system at least 7 times (windows 8 and 8.1).
IF the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" is ENABLED (and it is by default) I get the following errors in event viewer
ALSO IF I put my computer to hibernate I get the following

1. Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. (Kernel-BOOT event ID 29)
2. The previous system shutdown at 11:07:29 PM on ‎4/‎26/‎2014 was unexpected. (EventLog event ID 6008)
3. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. ( Level Critical , Source : Kernel-Power , event ID 41)
4. from time to time (eg 1 time in around 12-15 power ups) I also get a blue screen with "kernel_security_check_failure"
5. I Also get this error that I could not get rid of no matter what I tried "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2." (Kernel-PNP event ID 219)

What I DID so far:
0. loaded the Bios defaults
1. I tested the memory twice, one time for 8 hours with Memtest86 v5beta - 6 passes - everything was OK, the second time only for ~2 hours and 2 passes ... everything was OK also
2. I've tested the board with only 2 dims (16gb) ... No luck, I STILL have the fast startup/hibernation issues
3. I've tested the board with ONLY a fresh install of windows 8 and NO DRIVERS or SOFTWARE what so ever except what windows installed and detected by default and I STILL HAVE THE ISSUES (let me be clear, NO AISuite, NO aditional drivers from the Asus CD or website, NO additional software)
3. I've tested with a fresh install and the drivers from the CD, BUT only installed the minimum set as it follows : Intel Chipser drivers and Intel management interface - NO luck
4. I've installed again but used the drivers from the asus web site to install the latest versions of the drivers... still NO luck
5. I've installed EVERYTHING, drivers, AISUite, additional software - NO luck
6. disabled the "Enable write caching on the device" on the SSD from the device manager - NO luck
7. swaped the Intel SSD for an Samsung EVO SSD as an system disc - NO luck
8. put the memory in 1333 - no luck
9. bumped the voltage to the memory to 1.525 - no luck
10. messed up with various settings in the bios (the ones that are related to power savings, sata, CSM, UEFI) - NO luck, did put the defaults back
11. all the components are brand new

IF I disable (untick) the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" in the windows power options menu the blue screens stop showing up and everything is working ok. Yeah it's true that the computer boots up slower but I can live with that... sort of. What annoys me A LOT is that I can't use the hibernate function (I have to disable it in order to avoid the problems) because if I try to put the computer in Hibernate mode (or it enters automatically) I start to encounter the issues... and as a bonus my computer does not resume from hibernate... if I press the power button it tries to resume but fails.

ALSO I would like to add that if I press the case power button to shutdown (and the fast startup is on) I encounter the event viewer errors each each and every thing... but if I shut down the computer from the windows menu the errors does not show everytime

Otherwise the computer is 100% stable. I did extensive gaming and it did not crash once...

I am an IT guy, I built a lot of systems and trust me that I've tried everything I could think of on this system.
Unless there is an hidden hardware issue with one of my components I don't know what is wrong ... maybe my motherboard - power supply combination is deadly?

Any ideas are welcome...

Richard_MÃ_hli
Level 7
Same errors at my system. FastBoot on Windows 8.1 fon't work very well.
I set the hibernation off @cmd with powercfg /h off. I have also tested all combinations the post over me to get this worked, but it don't work. 😮

My System:

ASUS Z87-Deluxe || Intel i7 4770K @4,5Ghz @1,2V (~55°C) || Kühler (H2O): Corsair H110 || Asus GTX780-DC2OC @1215/3300 (~65°C) || Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 || BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W || Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || Phanteks Enthoo Primo Big Tower || Windows 8.1 Pro

Richard_MÃ_hli
Level 7
I have tested also another GPU and SSD. I have also changed my PSU and don't have luck to get the Fastboot work. I thinks there is an error in the code of the Asus-Bios. Someone can fix this? I like this Fastboot so much.