cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows does not see my second drive (SDD Crucial M4 128G)

Retired
Not applicable
It appears that the device manager sees the drive and I see the drive in the BIOS. But when I go to windows explorer it does not appear. My 1st drive is a SG500G. I have just bought the G74S and everything else seems OK. Also the software (data transfer software utility) for the SSD says it does not see the drive. Do I have a BIOS problem? Does the SSD need to be formatted? If so how do I format the SSD?
4 REPLIES 4

grungeboy2
Level 10
sounds like it's not formatted

http://ancillotti.hubpages.com/hub/Using-Disk-Management-in-Windows-7-Vista

important part
Open Disk Defragmenter, click: Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Defragmenter:

Retired
Not applicable
you said to use system tools and go to disk defragmenter. The problem is that menu when I get there does not show the Crucial SSD. Just shows the 2 partitioned drives.

i actually messed up there and just noticed it. you want to do what zing said and go to disk management. if your drive is unformatted or whatever, you can set it up with that.

Retired
Not applicable
Read this thread, I also have G74SX and had problems with Vertex 3, solution in last post with pictu...

You will probably have to swap places with hard disks.
You should not have a BIOS problem, unless you put your SATA settings to IDE. Windows will automatically format SSD when you create partition Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
Click on unallocated space and create new partition, assign latter and everything.

For detailed guide, google it.