cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] 7 reboot to XP, no power on USB

Dogway
Level 7
So in my dual boot system when I restart 7 and enter XP after I click on XP on the boot manager (7 boot manager) the mouse laser turns off and never loads up again. No plug/unplug works either. At that point I need to restart again and now all USBs are being powered. I'm using last BIOS rev. 1707, and tried tweaking some settings there, disabled fast boot, enabled EHCI, etc but no change. I use legacy settings and MBR partitions on a Gryphon Z87 board, these are my specs:

i5-4670K no OC
Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128Gb
Gryphon Z87
Corsair Vengeance 2x4
BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro P10 650W
22 REPLIES 22

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would guess you have connected your mouse to a USB 3 device, this is not supported natively with XP
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dogway
Level 7
As I said, no power on "ANY" USB, either USB3 or USB2 ports. mouse/keyboard is connected to USB2 rear port if you wonder.
I think this might be a bug on Asus BIOS, just like the CPU Fan monitor bug that is still present on current rev.1707.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK let me do an XP install and see if I can duplicate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dogway
Level 7
Thank you. To note x64 7 SP1, x86 XP SP3. Both updated with critical hotfixes and drivers. But my eyes are still on BIOS, whether that is a BIOS against OS drivers conflict of some sort. I can upload my BIOS settings file if that helps. It feels as it's unable to "unhook" some drivers from memory or something from 7, and it carries them onto XP rendering them unusable.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Out of interest how did you last flash you bios? Did you use the OS by any chance?

It could just be that you have a corrupt bios, maybe do a reflash using a USB drive fat formatted and EZflash2 utility in the tools menu of the BIOS.

Dogway
Level 7
Yes, that's how I did it, USB and EZFlash2.

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK I stuck a system on the test bench quick last night. Here is what I found.

On a single OS XP pro SP3 install I had mouse and keyboard power the entire time. Used the last three bios versions to test.

So not the BIOS but maybe the OS loader you are using that maybe disables legacy USB?? Not sure what else to tell you.

Dogway
Level 7
I never had problems on single boot either. I currently don't have problems if I enter XP directly. It's only when I go from 7 to XP, not even on reboot, but also after turn off, turn on (this clearly points to BIOS). I'm using Windows7 boot loader, but since I'm using it also for entering directly to XP without issues my eyes are on BIOS (while not discarding boot loader at all but...), did you test dual boot?

Dogway
Level 7
Ok, solved. It was on "Smart Auto" by default.

Intel xHCI Mode [Smart Auto]
[Auto]
Keeps the last operation of xHCI controller in OS during bootup.
[Smart Auto]
Enables the operation of xHCI controller.
[Enabled]
Enables the xHCI controller.
[Disabled]
Disables the xHCI controller.

I set to disabled, and now it's ok, but I don't know what's the impact of the setting either on Win7 and WinXP. On "Enabled" it also loses power.

edit: by the way, now that I remember, I might have not flashed the BIOS using the special USB port on the rear, is it that important? I say because I have another problem, no board HDMI output to TV (not even POST), but I will open a thread for that.