cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about HDD and SSD connection and RAID

s_37548547
Level 7
Hi guys, I am using a Maximus IV Extreme Z.
I have bought 4 HDD ( Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX) for data storage and would like to connect them to use RAID 10 (RAID 1+0). I also bought a Crucial M4 128GB SSD for Windows 7.
How should I connect them to the motherboard? I noticed that there are only 4 SATA 6Gb/s connectors.
32 REPLIES 32

Praz
Level 13
The 4 WD drives on the Intel controller and the SSD on the Marvell.

there are only 2 SATA 6gb/s port, do I connect the other 2 hdd in SATA 3gb/s port?
will I still be able to RAID all 4 HDD in this case?
2 HDD in SATA 3gb/s and 2 HDD in SATA 6gb/s ??

=> 4 HDD RAID 10

SSD alone connect to Marvell

Praz
Level 13
Yes. The only limitation across ports is the 2 SATA3 ports will drop to SATA2 speed to match the other ports.

How is the actual read/write speed when raid at sata2?
I mean how much speed I am loosing comparing to raid at sata3?
I would like to know the speed of 4 hdd raid 10 in sata2 and sata3.
also 2 hdd connect but not raid to sata2 and 3.
Is raid 10 in sata2 faster than just connecting 2 hdd to sata3 (no raid)?

Retired
Not applicable
TBH the SSD is wasted on the marvel port and even Corsair tell you to not use that port to update the firmware!

You want it on an Native Intel 6Gbit/Sec port!

For a mechanic drive you will loose next to nothing on SATA 3Gbit/Sec instead of SATA Gbit/Sec (there is no such thing SATA 2 or 3, its a body)!

A mechanical drive gets nowhere near 300MB/Sec per port apart perhaps its small Cache Burst rates (16-32MB)!

s_37548547 wrote:
How is the actual read/write speed when raid at sata2?
I mean how much speed I am loosing comparing to raid at sata3?
I would like to know the speed of 4 hdd raid 10 in sata2 and sata3.
also 2 hdd connect but not raid to sata2 and 3.
Is raid 10 in sata2 faster than just connecting 2 hdd to sata3 (no raid)?

SATA 6Gb/s for RAID 10 is really of no relevance in your situation. For 6Gb/s you can do RAID on the two ports of the Marvell controller or the two ports of the Intel controller. For RAID 10 you have no choice but to put all the drives on the Intel controller. Even if you put two of the drives on the 6Gb/s Intel ports and the other two drives on two of the 3Gb/s Intel ports the 6Gb/s posts will downclock to 3Gb/s speed.

The two options you have are all four drives on the Intel 3Gb/s ports and your SSD on one of the 6Gb/s ports or the four drives on any 4 of the Intel ports and the SSD on the Marvell controller.

jhuk wrote:
TBH the SSD is wasted on the marvel port and even Corsair tell you to not use that port to update the firmware!

This is true for boards using the Marvell 9128 controller. However, the 9182 hold its own very well compared to the Intel controller especially with a M4 drive.

Retired
Not applicable
I stand by my comment, a Native controller is better than a bolted on controller esp the very good Intel controllers!

That is not to say all bolt on 's are bad!

Praz
Level 13
As I wrote above when the controller is the 9182 the difference is not enough to worry about.

M4E - Intel 6Gb/s

M4E - Marvell 9182

Ferosin
Level 9
Use the 4 Sata 3gb ports and run the drives in a raid 5 config you'll keep more room for storage that way. Raid is protection from a hardware malfunction not a backup solution so make sure you have a backup solution as well.