Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions regarding general OC

Linightz
Level 7
Hi guys,

I just have few questions about OC in general:

1) Sometimes official releases new BIOS that says "Improve stability", but after I upgrade it, I need even more Vcore than the previous BIOS version to run the same freq stably using the exactly same setting. What's the reason?

2) Would the life time, or time used of a CPU affects the desire voltage to run a certain OC? i.e. 4.5G@1.3v, few years later become unstable, needs more volt.

3) Is it true that doesn't matter how high vcore is, as long as the temp is low enough, the CPU is fine? i.e. 1.5v@60C long term burn or even if >1.5v but less than 60C.

4) Can the burning duration time before crash be used to determine whether stability improves or become less? or is it just random. i.e. takes 30mins before crash is less stable then 40mins before crash.

I'll appreciate any thoughts. Thx.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
1) If you need more voltage for the same cpu frequency I would revert back to the BIOS you were using.

2) CPU degradation - Is possible although I personally never experienced this.

3) It is not advisable to go over the maximum recommended voltage of your cpu. I can confirm this if you want to go to the general discussion and to kill a cpu thread.

4) Not sure what you mean but, if you get any crash your machine is not stable.

Chino
Level 15
Linightz wrote:

1) Sometimes official releases new BIOS that says "Improve stability", but after I upgrade it, I need even more Vcore than the previous BIOS version to run the same freq stably using the exactly same setting. What's the reason?

I'd only recommend you update your BIOS if you're experiencing a certain problem which causes your system to be unstable. Other than that, don't upgrade your BIOS just to have the latest and the greatest.

Linightz wrote:

2) Would the life time, or time used of a CPU affects the desire voltage to run a certain OC? i.e. 4.5G@1.3v, few years later become unstable, needs more volt.

All electronic components degrade over time. Whenever you run something out of the manufacturer's specifications, yes it would accelerates this process. But just how much? No one knows.

Linightz wrote:

3) Is it true that doesn't matter how high vcore is, as long as the temp is low enough, the CPU is fine? i.e. 1.5v@60C long term burn or even if >1.5v but less than 60C.

There is no official safe voltage per say. But you shouldn't push it over the limit even if you keep your temperatures in check.

Linightz wrote:

4) Can the burning duration time before crash be used to determine whether stability improves or become less? or is it just random. i.e. takes 30mins before crash is less stable then 40mins before crash.

No. Burn in and stability tests mean nothing. Normal everyday usage is the best test for a stable overclock.

Linightz
Level 7
Thx for the replies.

Linightz
Level 7
One more question:

Would the CPU IMC usage affects the OC capability of itself? like would the same CPU with 64GB 8DIMMs OCed RAM less capable of OC itself than with 16GB 4DIMMs RAM?

Because my PC is runing 8x4GB 2133MHz RAM, and CPU needs 1.42v to run 4.5G, which is very bad. So I wonder does it have anything to do with the RAM capacity it's holding.

Chino
Level 15
Having more sticks of RAM puts more stress on the CPU's IMC. Usually you'd need a tad more voltage when you're running high frequency RAM or insane amounts of RAM.

Chino wrote:
Having more sticks of RAM puts more stress on the CPU's IMC. Usually you'd need a tad more voltage when you're running high frequency RAM or insane amounts of RAM.

Yeah, but I thought the voltage for IMC is VCCSA which is not related to Vcore, but it does affect vcore right?

Zka17
Level 16
More RAM = more stress on CPU. It is quite normal that with high amount of RAM you can not OC the CPU as much as with less RAM. That is the reason why competitive OC'ers won't fill up all the RAM slots...

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is correct. When your system has a large amount of memory, both in capacity and in number of sticks used, then both the CPU core and the IMC on the CPU will possibly need more than the default amounts of voltage to function correctly.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Linightz
Level 7
I see, so maybe my cpu is not that bad, its just i used too much memory.
Thx.