Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

ram configuration

Is there a preferable configuration of the ram in a g53sw? I removed the 3 old sticks and put in two new stick. I put them into the slots that are under the keyboard which I believe are slots 2 and 3. Would there be a more optimal way to do this (less prone to errors) ie. one under the keyboard and one in the back?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

not really.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

Check with CPU-Z if your memory is Synchronis mode instead of Async
    Kicking Ass Since Today

ROG Enthusiast Array

not sure how I can tell. Here is the picture from the memory tab of cpu-z

EDIT: woops that is my cpu tab

here it is

EDIT #2

Dont know if these tabs will help, but I was mistaken earlier. My ram is in slot 3 and 4.

wow, that's a little odd. did you add the kingston memory?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes I bought it thinking it would cure my bsod woes. Unfortunately it didn't seem to fix the problem. The kingston stuff I bought on chastity's recommendation. (recommendation of brand and such, not as a cure to my computer issues)

EDIT: Just some random thoughts as I research possible avenues of recourse; Could it be possible that this is a settings issue in the bios.? Perhaps with the RAM timings or FSB ratio (which I was under the impression should be 1:1 and is currently showing 1:7)? Maybe changing some of the settings from AUTO in the bios to force this thing to act more stable?

EDIT: Well after doing a little research I will certainly have to re-seat the 2 ram sticks to run in dual-channel mode. Apparently the ram has to be staggered and not sitting next to each other, ie. ram in slots 1 and 3 / 2 and 4.

yeah that's standard. but it looks liek the ram you bought doesn't match the ram you have. the timings are off etc.

ram gives BSOD but usually not that often. if it's under warrenty, i'd rma it. if it's not, i'd pull all the ram, try running it with just thekingston, does it BSOD then? then run it with the original ram, does it BSOD then?

sometimes ram can be sensative to what slot it's in, so on. troubleshoot it by using one stick at a time until you can identify the trouble part.

ROG Enthusiast Array

well as for the timings of 9-9-9-27 I thought this was slow for high-end ram (the lower the number the faster the ram?).

The old ram (3X2 gig) is no longer in the computer, just the two kingston sticks. What are you seeing in my cpu-z pictures that is reporting a discrepancy? If its the clock speed you are seeing, I believe the number (1866mhz) is halved to show actual speed.

When I get home from work im going to tear the thing apart and remove one the sticks from under the keyboard (the easy slot, not the full-teardown slot) and place it in one of the rear, more easily accessible slots. Now if I can just figure out which of the rear slots is slot 1/2 and which full-teardown slot under the keyboard is 3/4. If you pop the keyboard off there is a ram slot that is right there. boom. nothing further. But there is another slot that I had to remove the screen to get to (and much more) that I will not be bothering with. Maybe I can find some sort of schematic online that shows how they are labeled.

EDIT: as to your question of whether the old ram gave BSOD, yes it did. They were all memory management BSODs, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, bad pool header/caller, etc etc. I've been working with some people on the windows 7 forums who are looking at my .dmp files to see if some light can be shed.

Unfortunately their standard answer seems to be BAD RAM BAD RAM RABBLE RABBLE

EDIT: In fact if one more person tells me to run memtest86 I am going to pull my hair out.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

In your pics, I see the memory is in Single channel, so you don't have the 2 sticks in a matched bank, so you are losing performance.

I believe they should be populated in order...1-2-3-4

It should say "Double" in the Channels # field.
    Kicking Ass Since Today

yeah def switch teh slots. should be one stick in 1 and one stick in 3, i could be wrong could be 1/2 and 3/4 but it should be 1/3 and 2/4 for matched banks. thats normally how asus does it.

logic dictates if you replaced ram with new ram and have the same problem, the ram isn't the problem.

i helped a buddy of mine fix a old asus board once. he couldn't figure it out, we had 3 sticks of ram and it would bsod. i ended up taking all the ram out and starting with stick one, put it in, ran the comp. ran fine, went to stick two. etc.

what the solution was, for whatever reason, the ram sticks were all the same make and speed, the computer would use them all, but only in a specific order. no real reason for it, just was weird like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast