cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i update bios if i have...

tugrul
Level 7
if my gpu throttle at fullscreen mod(not at windpow mode) should i update bios. (i opened topic about it)
İf i have to how can i do that. İ downloaded from asus supoort site (bios 205 for JH model)
but donno how to install it. Update says "Fix that CPU and GPU will be throttled immediately when change to DC mode." (throttle means GPU usage drop not core speed drop)
8 REPLIES 8

angrylemon
Level 10
Use the 'Windows BIOS Flash Utility', it is located under 'BIOS Utilities' in the drivers section.

tugrul
Level 7
well i just closed to vsync and its solved the problem. but still no idea of bios update.

tugrul
Level 7
i dont have that 'BIOS Utilities' thing. i have couple of ASUS utilities but not that.
EDİT : ok i found that at the dfiffrent place alone named "winflash"
BTW i wana ask somethng with some drivers when i looked at the version i say i should install cuz mine is old.
After install at my device manager doesnt match with the asus support site driver version.
Like i just installed from somewhere not from asus driver support site.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
tugrul wrote:
i dont have that 'BIOS Utilities' thing. i have couple of ASUS utilities but not that.
EDİT : ok i found that at the dfiffrent place alone named "winflash"

Alternatively, you can flash the bios from the '(Start) Easy Flash' utility located inside the 'Advanced' menu of the bios (built into the bios, so no separate download required), so you have 2 options.

tugrul wrote:

BTW i wana ask somethng with some drivers when i looked at the version i say i should install cuz mine is old.
After install at my device manager doesnt match with the asus support site driver version.
Like i just installed from somewhere not from asus driver support site.

If you didn't already know, Windows can sometimes find ASUS unapproved driver updates for your notebook components (like vga, audio, lan, etc.) under the 'optional updates', so you may want to make sure they aren't getting installed if you don't want them (it's safer to stick to the ASUS approved drivers for your notebook model on the ASUS download site if you aren't seeing any problems).
I haven't checked too carefully, but usually those drivers are listed under the 'optional updates' when you check for Windows updates and as long as you don't check the box for the optional updates, they shouldn't be installed, so should be easy to avoid.

getjohnalive
Level 7
don't use ASUS WinFlash app to update your BIOS, it can brick your laptop...use the built in BIOS Flash utility in BIOS if you don't want to send your
laptop to ASUS Service

tugrul
Level 7
better i learned this thing. İF thats it why the **** they installed this program to mu machine.

tugrul wrote:
better i learned this thing. İF thats it why the **** they installed this program to mu machine.

It works, but it is a very poorly designed program that requires all things to be 100% within parameters. Chances are if you used WinFlash it would have worked fine, but I would personally use (and did) the bios flash utility embedded in the bios itself just for safety.

Edit: Honestly, if you have solved your issue I wouldn't update the bios. Bios upgrades rarely do anything that you will notice, unless there is a major bug, and can be ignored unless needed. For example, I upgraded my 750JX to bios v208 to get rid of the 800MHz cpu lockdown on battery, however I have not upgraded to v209 because most people who have reported no performance difference.
(note: The above recommendation is for the average end-user consumer, not for those computer tech gurus. In my opinion, bios upgrades should be performed only by those who know their way around a computer.)

Nehmia
Level 9
I upgrade the BIOS the moment it his update. has always been good even if it's stuff behind the scenes that it updates
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers