cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V and EK Block problem

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, Just new to this forum. Just want to ask, has anyone of you used the EK block for the crosshair v?

I just bought it last week but was trying to make it work since saturday. The problem is, whenever I use the EK block, the board wont post. But if im using the stock heatsink the board will boot very smooth.

Has anyone experience this?
13 REPLIES 13

Area_66
Level 11
Hi Rigel, I have not the EK block for the CH V, but usually with EK , we have to install plastic washer / spacer between the block and the motherboard. From the pics, I can see the block come very close to the EPS 12V connectors, may be it makes interference and the plug doesn’t sit properly?

Retired
Not applicable
Hmm... You mean the block is sitting very low? I worry that if i put spacer the thermal pad is not enough. The pad that it came with is very thin. What plug is it by the way?

Im running out of patience on this one 😞

goncel
Level 7
relax lah bro... 😄

Area_66
Level 11
Ok, I download the manual, they replace the black plastic spacer with brass standoff ( see first pic) the EPS 12 volts connector is the one circle on the second pic

Retired
Not applicable
Oh no, the cable locks in place so i think there is no problem with that. Is there any effect if the plates behind the board is not installed?

This is stock

This is EK replacement

Area_66
Level 11
Hummmm do you have thermal pad under those plates ? I will like someone from Asus to review it, as those plate may just be a support, but with what I can see , you have electronic rigth under, I wonder if they don't act also as heatsink ...

Retired
Not applicable
yeah there is. both of the plates have thermal pads. this is directly opposite the vrms in front of the board.

Hi,

try scotch taping the SMD elements on the northbridge packaging, around the NB chip. One layer only.

Best Regards,
Niko
EK Water Blocks R&D / CTO
ekwb.com

Cephas
Level 7
Is this the CPU block or the NB / Mosfet mobo block?
Gaming: FX-8150 @ 4.6 | Asus Crosshair V | Asus GTX580 DCII @ 885 | Corsair 800D | 8GB Dominator GT @ 1866 | 2 x Vertex 3 RAID 0
HTPC: Intel i3 2100 | Asus P8H67-M-PRO | Gigabyte GT430 | Lian Li PC-V354 | 7 TB MDADM RAID