View Poll Results: What's your take on this?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can live with this issue!

3 8.33%
  • Waiting for Asus to take action!

21 58.33%
  • I'm going for RMA/Replacement!

4 11.11%
  • I don't find it/Solved!

8 22.22%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I rebooted so much last night I don't even remember if I reboot precisely after applying the fix or not. I now have 2 systems side by side to test one.. going to return one. They're pretty much identical.

From all the searching last night I found that the problem is indeed endemic to all devices that can run on battery on Windows 8, including laptops and MS tablets. I'm not sure what the surface tablets use for their graphics chips, but unlike this Asus, other users have been able to access the auto-contrast toggle either via the Intel graphics driver settings, Dell or Lenovo specific settings, or Surface tablet specific settings.

I was able to run the Surface Tablet Tweak tool
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads...-release.8219/
    on the Asus, but unfortunately the toggle for "Dynamically adjust contrast ratio on battery" was grayed out. So close.. argh

Interesting to run the banding test though on battery to see indeed there is a decrease in visual fidelity when my g751jt is unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by bsod View Post
    I rebooted so much last night I don't even remember if I reboot precisely after applying the fix or not. I now have 2 systems side by side to test one.. going to return one. They're pretty much identical.

From all the searching last night I found that the problem is indeed endemic to all devices that can run on battery on Windows 8, including laptops and MS tablets. I'm not sure what the surface tablets use for their graphics chips, but unlike this Asus, other users have been able to access the auto-contrast toggle either via the Intel graphics driver settings, Dell or Lenovo specific settings, or Surface tablet specific settings.

I was able to run the Surface Tablet Tweak tool
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads...-release.8219/
    on the Asus, but unfortunately the toggle for "Dynamically adjust contrast ratio on battery" was grayed out. So close.. argh

Interesting to run the banding test though on battery to see indeed there is a decrease in visual fidelity when my g751jt is unplugged.
    Cool tool! I ahevnt seen that before. Now just let us get it to work on G750-51 as well =) Sorry to say and as you already have read none of the mention fixes works on my G750 except to revert back to the factory gpu 311.83 driver.

Confirmed! The banding is there while using batteries on the latest drivers. I havent bothered to test on 311.83 today but as it works flawlessy I ampretty sure the banding will be gone using it. I will try that another day.

ROG Member Array

I forgot to mention that while I was attempting to uninstall my nvidia drivers, I accidentally deleted the graphics card adapter from my devices.
    Auto contrast problem solved!
    Also when I rescanned for devices, Windows just used its default display driver for the card.
    Auto contrast problem solved!

Not a solution, but that suggests that there should be something in the nvidia drivers that should be able to disable the auto contrast "feature"

I was trying to forcibly install the intel HD drivers for the on board chip to possibly access the setting. Not sure exactly how disabled the intel HD chip is, and I couldn't figure out which HD 4X00 drivers to use. both 4700 and 4600 reported my system as not meeting the minimum specs. The system graphics are driven soley by the nvidia card so probably it's probably a dead end anyway

Installed 311.83 and run Surface Tablet Tweak tool and the banding was gone as expected. The tool says that Dynamic contrast is on when I run on batteries but apparently it is actually off.

Yes, theres absolutely something wrong with the Nvidia drivers after 311.83. Well, wrong for us at least =/

ROG Enthusiast Array

Has anyone found a true solution for this yet?

On wall power it's fine but on battery the brightness dims in certain windows.

I tried many of the things suggested in this topic, but nothing solved it.

My current work-around: When I am on battery, quickly turning off the screen and turning it back on (with fn + F7, I am on a g750jx) makes the problem go away, but only until the next time I plug the computer back to a/c. When I unplug it after that, the problem comes back.

New ROGer Array

I've found a sort-of solution. If I disable Intel(R) HD GRaphics 4600 in Device Manager, the display doesn't auto-dim anymore. However when I now try to run Nvidia Control Panel it gives the error: "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDA GPU".

I haven't tried running any games yet to check performance...

ROG Enthusiast Array

I don't have dual cards, you must be on a different laptop than I am

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Is this STILL going on? I thought it was fixed ages ago by some automatic update.. I've not had the problem since, and I did a fresh OS install only a couple of months ago.

Edit: Still happens to me while on battery which is weird. Not when plugged in the wall however.
    Last edited by Darnassus; 01-25-2015 at 12:39 AM.
    Gosh Blue Lady.. ❤

JOIN THE ASUS T-SHOOT DISCORD <-- Clicky!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Darnassus View Post
    Edit: Still happens to me while on battery which is weird. Not when plugged in the wall however.
    Same here. Only while on battery...

New ROGer Array

Wow! Just fixed it on battery with number 4 here (already had 1-3 done):
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast