View Poll Results: What's your take on this?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can live with this issue!

3 8.33%
  • Waiting for Asus to take action!

21 58.33%
  • I'm going for RMA/Replacement!

4 11.11%
  • I don't find it/Solved!

8 22.22%
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darnassus View Post
    Is this STILL going on? I thought it was fixed ages ago by some automatic update.. I've not had the problem since, and I did a fresh OS install only a couple of months ago.

Edit: Still happens to me while on battery which is weird. Not when plugged in the wall however.
    I had the 335.23 drivers and it was only happening on battery. I updated to 347.25 and now i happens all the time... poop

New ROGer Array

To anyone still dealing with this:

This is a feature, not a bug. It is because Nvidia Optimus switches to the integrated graphics of the cpu any time a dedicated gpu is not absolutely required so you have to turn off the iGPU's adaptive setting as well. In order to disable all automatic backlight/brightness/contrast adjustment, you now have to do so in 3 separate places: Nvidia control panel, windows control panel, and intel HD graphics control panel. The intel option is called display power saving technology, and is in the power menu of the Intel HD control panel.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the same problem with the contrast. After restarting the laptop the contrast goes super bright, this is a real pain especially when working in dull light or dark conditions when I require lower brightness & contrast settings. When I perform a restart/reboot I find I need to Restore Defaults in the NVIDIA Control Panel and then reset all my preferences for the Adjust Desktop Colour Settings and Apply. I've never met this type of issue before on any other laptop make or model except this ASUS G750JW, which begs the question, how did this obvious issue get missed during testing ?

With reference to the previous post, I cannot find an Intel HD graphics control panel. The Device Manager only shows Display adaptors info for NVIDIA GTX 765M. How is the Intel HD graphics control panel accessed ?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kidfromhell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    I have the same problem with the contrast. After restarting the laptop the contrast goes super bright, this is a real pain especially when working in dull light or dark conditions when I require lower brightness & contrast settings. When I perform a restart/reboot I find I need to Restore Defaults in the NVIDIA Control Panel and then reset all my preferences for the Adjust Desktop Colour Settings and Apply. I've never met this type of issue before on any other laptop make or model except this ASUS G750JW, which begs the question, how did this obvious issue get missed during testing ?

With reference to the previous post, I cannot find an Intel HD graphics control panel. The Device Manager only shows Display adaptors info for NVIDIA GTX 765M. How is the Intel HD graphics control panel accessed ?
    Woah ,it's been time since I visited this thread and it looks like this issue is getting worse over time. And for your question, the G750 JX/JW series notebooks doesn't come with Intel HD control panel because it's simple - it doesn't have an Intel card and it doesn't support Optimus either. You just have the GeForce Experience/nVidia Card.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessXJR View Post
    To anyone still dealing with this:

This is a feature, not a bug. It is because Nvidia Optimus switches to the integrated graphics of the cpu any time a dedicated gpu is not absolutely required so you have to turn off the iGPU's adaptive setting as well. In order to disable all automatic backlight/brightness/contrast adjustment, you now have to do so in 3 separate places: Nvidia control panel, windows control panel, and intel HD graphics control panel. The intel option is called display power saving technology, and is in the power menu of the Intel HD control panel.
    I have the G750JW. The integrated video card has been physically disconnected on these models. Only the GTX765m is available. The issue still stands.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for the responses, most appreciated.

This type of issue/defect and the fact it has not being fixed by ASUS is unacceptable. It suggests a lack of rigorous quality control in their testing procedures. It is such a simply defect to reproduce it should never have made it into the released product.

If ASUS decide not to fix this issue soon I will go elsewhere for my next purchase.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Still looking for a solution to this... as has been said, it's not an optimus/integrated graphics issue because not all the models have integrated (mine doesn't, and I still have the dimming/auto contrast issue when on battery).

ROG Enthusiast Array

I installed version 311.83 and the issue still exists. In fact the issues exists in every version I've tried.

To reproduce simply perform the following actions:

Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel"

Display -> Adjust desktop colour settings

Use NVIDIA settings

Brightness 0%
    Contrast 0%
    Gamma 0.50%
    Digital vibrance 15%

Apply

Use power button to Shutdown
    Use power button to Start

Screen contrast changes from high contrast to lower contrast then high contrast.

Would someone in ASUS support please respond as soon as possible as to why this is happening ?

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    I installed version 311.83 and the issue still exists. In fact the issues exists in every version I've tried.

To reproduce simply perform the following actions:

Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel"

Display -> Adjust desktop colour settings

Use NVIDIA settings

Brightness 0%
    Contrast 0%
    Gamma 0.50%
    Digital vibrance 15%

Apply

Use power button to Shutdown
    Use power button to Start

Screen contrast changes from high contrast to lower contrast then high contrast.

Would someone in ASUS support please respond as soon as possible as to why this is happening ?
    Light, I don't know that this problem is happening for everyone on every G750JW/JX unit, and appears to be rather elusive at this point on the ASUS side as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, I don't have either of those units around right now to play with, but when I had the G750JW, this issue wasn't noticeable on my unit although I wasn't looking for it if it matters.
    By the way curious if the NVidia Control Panel settings you provided are the defaults or what happens if you use the default settings.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that ASUS repair has been able to catch or see the problem, so suggest working with them or your local ASUS support especially if you are still under warranty.
    If you can actually show ASUS repair the issue in person, this would probably be best, but if you are able to tell them how to catch the problem, this should hopefully be good enough although they will probably want you to send back your unit for repair.

http://www.asus.com/support/callus

If you haven't looked through all the posts in this thread though, consider checking them as well to see if they can help (remove Power4 Gear, disable adaptive brightness, etc.) for your case.

If ASUS repair is able to catch the issue though, suspect they would first try to erase and reinstall Windows to see if the problem is still there and then update to the latest drivers posted on the ASUS download site (as well as bios which you may not want to fool around with if you don't want to take any chances), so something you may want to consider trying as well if you think it's a good idea (don't remember if people have reported trying these things already, but expect our repair would try them anyway to try to eliminate any software-related issues).

Well, hope this helps and makes sense. Sorry that I'm not able to help more on my end or provide a solution.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 03-16-2015 at 11:43 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thank you for your response cl-Albert. The settings I have shown are those set by me.

Once the above steps I have described are followed the issue occurs every time. To get rid of the high contrast issue I have to press the "Restore Defaults" in Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust desktop colour settings, after that I can set Brightness, Contrast, Gamma to anything and the display colours function as expected. However, when I'm working in reduced light or lights out and I need to adjust the Brightness, Contrast, Gamma to lower settings as I have provided in my previous post, then when I Shutdown and then Start the display is overexposed as described above.

I have already done all the things you mentioned, reinstall etc. latest drivers, remove Power4 Gear, disable adaptive brightness, etc. none of them make any difference. I have spent many hours on this issue and it is really simple to reproduce following the instructions I have already posted.

Someone at ASUS simply needs to follow the instructions I have provided to reproduce the issue. I am using a G750JW fitted with the standard GTX 765M.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast