cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to try and OC... please advise

kshafe777
Level 7
Ok.. now that I have all the correct RAM and cooling.. time to OC...

im looking for something moderate.. not trying to break any records or anything 😄

8350 on my C5Fz, with gskill 2133 9-11-11-31
Air cooled with Noctua.

quick learner, but still a noob....

I have read many threads and "suggestions" but looking for someone familiar with this setup...

HiViz? 😄

thanks
"Better to try and Fail, then not try at all" ~ Michael Jordan
favorite YouTuber - KDSTech - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0zF8nTziWiBx3v6CNR3yw
31 REPLIES 31

chrsplmr
Level 18
kshafe777 ... Welcome to ROG.

What are you currently running it @ ?
How are your temps ?? [hwMonitor]

If you are just looking for a mild OC .. all you need to do is bump Up your multiplier.
If you are looking for Max OC's and a run at RealBench v2 .. then you may want to
look for a little better 'cooling solution' than air.
Keep us posted .. 'we' love to help you get where your going. .c.

kshafe777
Level 7
I am running stock... no real experience with oc'ing.. first build.
using Noctua NH-U12s in push pull with 6 other fans in case... temps are around 33-34 idle and 47 on prime 95 through test 10

unless I go to a full loop hydro, there really isn't a better cooling solution. the H100i performs worse than this does.. so.. yeah 🙂 ( course, I am in MN.. I could just open the window too.. lol )
favorite YouTuber - KDSTech - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0zF8nTziWiBx3v6CNR3yw

chrsplmr
Level 18
In that case.
If you have read the OC guide .. bump up the multiplier and we
can go from there.
Do you have a 'target' in mind ?

Retired
Not applicable
you can oc the mem

stock 9.11.11.31 1,5v/ 2133mhz ?

set

2400mhz
1,65v

cheers, just for the fun of it

WhitePaw wrote:
you can oc the mem

stock 9.11.11.31 1,5v/ 2133mhz ?

set

2400mhz
1,65v

cheers, just for the fun of it

close.. 9 11 11 31 1.60 v is stock on my 2133

chrsplmr wrote:
In that case.
If you have read the OC guide .. bump up the multiplier and we
can go from there.
Do you have a 'target' in mind ?

ok... i'll give that a go tonight 🙂

was kinda hoping 4.4-4.5 somewhere... from what I have been reading, anything above that with the 8350 will get wicked hot unless on full loop cooling. Maybe I'm wrong tho and it can be accomplished.

question, some places say to "simply change the multiplier" from 20 to 22 or so.. other places ( jayztwocents ) say to set multiplier at 20 and to play with the NB freq... what would you suggest I do?

thanks all

Nate152
Hi kshafe777, I don't have an amd board but the NB frequency is like the BCLK on my board, raising this raises the cpu speed, the ram speed, the speed of the pci express lanes and the usb ports. I would find speed and stability first with the multiplier. Once you find your maximum overclock, you can drop the multiplier by 1 or 2 and play with the NB frequency. Just be sure to set your RAM back to its specified speed when changing the NB frequency.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The order that you do things is up to you. I start with the NB and then once I am done finding what the max is I set back to 200 and start with the multi.

Once I have that data I am able to look at my memory and the straps that I deem to be the most efficient.

Ideally I would use 266 x 19 for a 5GHz overclock if your cooling was tops. But due to temps I would say try 233 x 18 or 233 x 19 for now.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok, I'll give that a try tonight and take some pics of the bios. What I tried last night was simply to change the multiplier to 21.5 (4300 MHz) and left everything else at default other than I did have the mem set using DOCP which it recognized the xmp profile of 2133, 9 11 11 31 and set voltage to 1.60 otherwise, every other setting was default. when I ran the prime 95, it failed immediately.

am I doing this incorrectly?

HiVizMan wrote:
The order that you do things is up to you. I start with the NB and then once I am done finding what the max is I set back to 200 and start with the multi.

Once I have that data I am able to look at my memory and the straps that I deem to be the most efficient.

Ideally I would use 266 x 19 for a 5GHz overclock if your cooling was tops. But due to temps I would say try 233 x 18 or 233 x 19 for now.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I'm hijacking a little, but when you say, "Start with the NB," are you referring to the - I think - "CPU Bus?" It's set to 200 by default and goes as high as 600, I think?

The manual and OC guide aren't quite as clear as one might like.