cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ramdisk: Update Gone Trainwreck^2... Help!

dataminer
Level 7
I remember when you guys started in with the third-party bundles, wrapped in ghettotastic Asus skins. Was a bit of an Asus fanboy in the mid '00s, then had a run of bad asus boards, which seems to have continued to my most recent purchase, an M6E. The first few months of ownership spent waiting for the BIOS update that finally fixed the CONSTANT SLI studdering (yes, in spite of an assortment of different configurations, an RMA, and three different sets of late-model geforce cards).

Anyways, fast forward to last week. I went to update ROG's Ramdisk... first it undid the drive I had made, 8gb I believe (32gb in the system), then I was expecting it to uninstall, but it didn't. I waited a hot minute, tried it again, error ahoy!

---------------------------
ROG RAMDisk
An installation support file could not be installed.

Catastrophic failure

OK

So I went back and tried to reinstall, the new version, even the previously installed version; same exact error. Rinsed and repeated after a reboot, then tried again in safe mode: no dice in all the above. I've searched my ace off and it seems that either nobody decided to use the asus branded ramdrive... or I'm the lucky one that stepped on the landmine.

The query I have is this: has anybody else had similar issues, and were you able to fix it or did you end up wiping the OS? If you pulled off a fix, how?

And as a side bar... if you're using some semblance of a ramdrive outside of the asus'ed one, which are you using and how is it treating you?

Does anybody know where the ramdisk stores it's files under Win7x64 outside of the ones in the user profile and program files?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and have a good one!

- DM

Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6GHz
32GB 1866MHz G-Skill F3-1866C8-8GTX
nVidia Geforce GTX 780 [x2]
Sound Blaster ZXR [Soon & drama-free... hopefully]
256GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD
3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 [x3]
27" NEC MultiSync PA271W [x3]
24" Wacom Cintiq Digitizer
Logitech G19 - Logitech Performance MX
Win7x64

2 REPLIES 2

dataminer
Level 7
Alrighty, I figured it out. Least this can serve as a rescue for others who happen upon the same caveat.

Trying to paste a screen capture to mspaint, the no brainer arrived. If you happened to repath your temp variables to your ramdisk, expect hell to unleash upon uninstalling that ramdisk. After I pointed the temp variables back to a place that actually existed, ie: the good ol' C drive, it worked fine.

Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6GHz
32GB 1866MHz G-Skill F3-1866C8-8GTX
nVidia Geforce GTX 780 [x2]
Sound Blaster ZXR [Soon & drama-free... hopefully]
256GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD
3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 [x3]
27" NEC MultiSync PA271W [x3]
24" Wacom Cintiq Digitizer
Logitech G19 - Logitech Performance MX
Win7x64

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you very much for posting up your findings. I am using the one I got from AMD when I bought my 290X graphic cards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.