cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula SM Bus Controller driver

Anirafkram
Level 7
Either the search on this forum is terrible, or this one hasn't actually been solved. I've installed all of the Intel platform drivers, USB controllers, etc which are included with the formula disk, or available online. For whatever reason my device manager in Windows 8.1 still reports that the SM Bus Controller has no correct driver. I'll be honest...I don't even know what the SM Bus Controller is, but it bugs me that it's not working :).

Any advice would be appreciated!!
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152

Hi Anirafkram a SM Bus is the System Management Bus: (SMBus, SMB) A simple two-wire bus used for communication with low-bandwidth devices on a motherboard, especially power related chips such as a laptop's rechargeable battery subsystem (see Smart Battery Data). Other devices might include temperature sensors and lid switches.The Sm Bus driver are included in the Chipset Drivers ,You can download it on the support page of intel !

Yep, I'm dumb...I didn't realize there was another chipset driver under the intel management engine driver :/. Ty!

Hi Guys

I am having the same exact issue. No matter what I do I cannot get my SM Bus Contoller to install. Can someone please explain why the driver is on the Intel website and not on the ASUS support drivers page for my motherboard? Its hard enough working out which driver to use from the ASUS site let alone looking on the Intel site.

I tried the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the Chipset driver but nothing was returned.

Kind regards

Slacker

(edit)

I also noticed that when I try to download the chip set driver from ASUS website for my Z87 board the file name that I download is named MEI_Win7-8-8-1_VER95151730-X79

This driver looks like its for the X79 boards not Z87 boards.

P.S. I have spent 12 hours trying to fix this on the ASUS Support live chat and they have suggested that I RMA my motherboard. I really don't want to do that if at all possible.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you try searching for updated driver software through Device Manager?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Yes thats was the first thing that I tried, however that failed to install. So I downloaded the driver that was linked to me by the ASUS online support chat. I then tried again pointing to the folder that contains the driver.

This also failed but in a different way. I got the following type of message i cant remember verbatim but it went something like this: Widows failed to instal the driver. We found a suitable driver but the installation timed out.

Any ideas?

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Slacker_Feed

What motherboard do you have?

Hi Nate,

I have Maximus VI Formula

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The Intel chipset driver failing to install, assuming it is the correct version for the motherboard, is normally the result of something corrupted in the operating system. Perform a fresh install of the operating system and then install the correct chipset driver immediately after the install completes.