cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ssd installation help, questions about OS install as well

parkc
Level 7
So i just bought the G750jw-DB71 and would like to install a 120gb ssd as the boot drive.

This is my first time ever adding hardware or anything like this to a computer, so excuse my lack of knowledge, but i would like to learn. So i have a few questions:

1) Do you guys have a specific ssd you prefer? i was looking at Samsung.

2) I understand the steps of how to physically install the hardware and navigate the bios, but i'm at a loss when it comes to what to do with the OS. I would like to do a clean install of windows 8, But i dont know where to get windows 8 to install it. Do i use a recovery disk? or a brand new windows 8 disk? (id prefer not to purchase a new OS). I read another thread about using a flash drive, but i still dont understand the full process, and how thats different from a disk.

3) I would like to use the 1tb HDD that the computer came with for general storage. How do i wipe it clean and transfer the important things i might need from the new sdd?

4) Do i need to worry about partitions for anything?

Thanks in advance (but im sure i'll have a few questions later as well)
5 REPLIES 5

Nillaz
Level 7
The newer Samsung SSD's are great choices. The 840 PRO is tops when it comes to performance, but the EVO drives are not far behind the 840 PRO and are significantly cheaper (due to using a less expensive type of NAND). I own one of each and most people would be satisfied with either one of them.

What you most likely read about regarding the flash drive is the procedure to clone your existing OS and migrate it to your new drive. This is NOT installing the OS from scratch, it's simply moving the data from one drive to another while leaving the disc structure intact. As far as Windows is concerned it doesn't skip a beat. You won't have to move any of the "important files" (drivers, system files, etc.) after you are done...everything on the drive gets migrated. When everything is setup the way you want you can simply reformat the HDD via Windows as you would any other disc.

There will be a recovery partition left over on the SSD when all is said and done. You can either leave it there, or if you want to recover the space for your personal use you can remove it and expand the primary partition via a program like Easus Partition Master. EPM is a weird little program as it executes commands in batches but once you wrap your head around how it works it makes perfect sense.

It's been a long day and I'm getting pretty tired so apologies if anything is unclear. Feel free to ask any other questions. I've got a pretty crazy day ahead of me tomorrow but if I can squeeze in a little extra time I'll check back in and do my best to clarify anything too confusing.

Clintlgm
Level 14
The Eightforums have some pretty good step by step guides- Also a sticky in the G55/G75 forum would pertain to your NB also.
or Goggle how to clean install win 8.1 on a Asus G750 you'll find more options and guides.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
parkc wrote:
1) Do you guys have a specific ssd you prefer? i was looking at Samsung.

2) I understand the steps of how to physically install the hardware and navigate the bios, but i'm at a loss when it comes to what to do with the OS. I would like to do a clean install of windows 8, But i dont know where to get windows 8 to install it. Do i use a recovery disk? or a brand new windows 8 disk? (id prefer not to purchase a new OS). I read another thread about using a flash drive, but i still dont understand the full process, and how thats different from a disk.

3) I would like to use the 1tb HDD that the computer came with for general storage. How do i wipe it clean and transfer the important things i might need from the new sdd?

4) Do i need to worry about partitions for anything?

Before you go through with anything, it's recommended you back up your recovery! You can do this via the "create a recovery drive" tool or the Windows "Create a system image" tool using a USB drive or DVDs (respectfully).

1. Samsung drives are great! The 840 Pro tops the charts in performance and overall satisfaction. The 840 EVO drives are better bang for the buck, although as Nillaz pointed out, they do not perform as well as the Pro series, nor are they as reliable.

2. Essentially, your best bet will be to use the built in recovery and clone your existing drive to the new SSD. You can use the factory reset before or after cloning; personally, I would advise using the recovery before cloning. For cloning software, Clonezilla and EaseUs Todo backup are free programs you can use. Other noteworthy programs are Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image.

3. Again: cloning. 🙂 A full install of Windows 8 won't be as feasible unless you purchase a new copy, so your easiest route is to use the built in recovery.

4. Not if you're cloning. You simply use the cloning application to mirror the entire contents of the drive over to the SSD, then you navigate into BIOS to change the Hard Drive BBS priority so that the laptop boots off of the SSD (or you can physically swap the placement of the drives so that the SSD is in the primary bay). Then once you've booted into Windows with the SSD and have confirmed everything seems to be working, you can format your hard drive and use it for whatever. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Prostar Computer wrote:
Again: cloning. 🙂 A full install of Windows 8 won't be as feasible unless you purchase a new copy,

Wrong, you can use a Windows 8 SL (single language) version for a clean install.
Bios key is automatically found and activated.

yes, cloning is easier but you will still have all the asus crapware
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

haihane
Level 13
additional info, these few tricks featured on guru3d might help improve your SSD life.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.