cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC desk - Project MegaDeblow **COMPLETE**

deblow
Level 9

Hi everyone,

My name is Rob, I'm 38 and new to forum posting in general so i hope i can make a good job of this,
my first ever build/Log attempt.

I will begin with how it all started and end with where I'm at now.
One of my friends pointed out that the Matrix 7970's were on sale so i put my order in, after fitting them i found i had a problem with heat.
The cards get really hot very fast without the correct space and airflow.
only way i could run them stock without a problem was to leave the side off my case, a UFO mountain mods case

The bottom card has about 1" space to breath so I started looking at new cases on the web and YouTube and
stumbled upon a water cooled desk i had seen and forgot about some months ago.
As i had lots of wood, glass and plastic spear lying around the place that the wife was not very happy about
i thought i would try build a desk mod myself.

I had some ideas that i put to paper, but most of the ideas were changed over time as i encountered problems,
I will add some pictures of the design on the forum, Not the best artwork i admit, so i hope they make some sense

I must also say that for most of the build i used my GS3 phone to take the pictures for reference,
as half my project was in the shed and the other half was in the house,
and as i have a broken leg it was very hard to move around with the parts to check they were correct.

After i had done about 60% of the build my friend suggested i ask for sponsorship,
as there was a possibility of getting sponsorship i started to take more professional pictures,
so I'm sorry for the low quality and lack of build photos taken at the start.

I will add as much info as possible, if i miss anything please just ask and i will do my best to answer asap.

Reason for build -
- More desktop space (get shut of the MASSIVE UFO case)
- Create better airflow
- Make more space for water cooling parts
- Have something different & something to do in my spare time

My Build Items Are -

CPU - i5 2500k @4.6
MB - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3
RAM - Avexir Core Extreme Green Series 8GB DDR3 2133MHz
GPU - Asus Matrix 7970 platinum - Crossfire
HD's - 2X Seagate Barracuda = 6TB, OCZ Vertex 3 =120gb, OCZ Agility 3 =64gb, WD Green =2TB
PSU - CoolerMaster v1000
EK supreme CPU block 1155 Socket
XSPC 1/2 ID 3/4 OD Tubing UV Green
Phobya Balancer 450 Reservoir
Mayhems Fine 99.999% Silver Kill Coil
Primochill Tube Reservoir Calming Coil Green UV
NZXT Fan Controller
Akasa fan Controller
12x CoolerMaster Sickleflow Fans
5X Enermax Cluster Fans - (removed from build)
Corsair AirFlow Fans
Sharkoon Quad Cathode Kit
LED Strips x Lots
EK-fc970 Matrix Full Cover water blocks
EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (360)
EK-D5 Vario X-TOP High-Performance pump
1 or 2 fan Controllers

Thanks for looking,

Rob

A BIG thank you to EK Water Blocks and Cooler Master/CM-Storm for their support.

=======================================================================
UPDATE - 26/04/2014

Now the build is finally complete i need to thank some people,

Firstly and most importantly are my fellow PC modders & forum users, without your comments and contribution of ideas the build would never have been as successful as it has.

Next my wife and friends for all the help given, my wife has helped carry,shop,make tea & snacks & provide some pain relief when needed

My Friends Ian & Carl have also helped with the heavy lifting & Ian helped provide me with the glass needed for the desk (Big thanks)

And finally my sponsors Lep @ EK water blocks for providing the Watercooling blocks and support throughout the build.

Chris @ Cooler Master (CM Storm) UK, I was already using CM Power Supply & fans, but Chris updated them for the latest and best
along with my CM storm gaming set
but best of all hes been great to talk with over the last 3 months & even got me in to the gadget show for a great day out

facebook link - still needed updating but will be done soon. nice place to just look at the photos.
[SPOILER]https://www.facebook.com/megadeblow[/SPOILER]

Im still working in the Vids for my youtube, will upload in the next week hopefully
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaDeblow

Slideshow Build Log
[SPOILER]http://youtu.be/j_Fx8yTb8FM[/SPOILER]

FINAL RESULT - YouTube Vid
[SPOILER]http://youtu.be/YG97Na9Zs34[/SPOILER]

Big thank you to everyone, and i hope i get the chance to do something bigger in the future and share it with you all

Rob (Deblow)
86 REPLIES 86

deblow
Level 9
The reason i went for L shape glass is that i wanted to be able to cover the glass 100% with ease when needed in order to block light and protect.

Antronman
Level 10
Why put the thread in here if it's a gigabyte mobo? And why go for custom WC if you're using cheaper, older components? I would prefer a closed loop CPU cooler and stock GPU cooling in exchange for better parts than those.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Why put the thread in here if it's a gigabyte mobo?

Because it looks like it's a ballin' setup.

Antronman wrote:
And why go for custom WC if you're using cheaper, older components?I would prefer a closed loop CPU cooler and stock GPU cooling in exchange for better parts than those.

"First ever build attempt." I don't know about you, but my first WC setup cost me a total of ~$140 and it was put together from old parts. The last thing I wanted was to spend $3000+ on super awesome parts just to make some mistakes.

I believe deblow is looking for more objective input.

Dr. Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
Because it looks like it's a ballin' setup.

"First ever build attempt." I don't know about you, but my first WC setup cost me a total of ~$140 and it was put together from old parts. The last thing I wanted was to spend $3000+ on super awesome parts just to make some mistakes.

I believe deblow is looking for more objective input.

Dr. Z

Setting up a custom loop is always more difficult than setting up a build with aftermarket cooling.
And as I recall, your less than 140USD watercooling setup was made with parts found in the garbage, garage and numerous other places and wasn't actually made from retail WC parts. A full loop is rather expensive, and easy enough to mess up.
His parts are old, somewhat outdated parts. I would rather have a 4670k, and some R9 280xs instead of HD 7970s with an H105 for cooling than old parts with a badass custom loop.

Antronman wrote:
Why put the thread in here if it's a gigabyte mobo? And why go for custom WC if you're using cheaper, older components? I would prefer a closed loop CPU cooler and stock GPU cooling in exchange for better parts than those.

Thanks for the questions,
I posted here because i have a build that i wanted to show on the forum, as i have 2x Asus Matrix 7970 platinum's i thought it would be nice.

I cant see any mention on the forum that i must have a Asus MB to post here, sorry if i missed it and i will no longer post here if that's the case.

I'm very happy with all my parts, the cards, MB, RAM, one SSD along with the water cooling parts have all be bought new in the last 8 weeks
and ordered on a very very tight budget

The PC parts i have play all the games i like at the maximum settings running at 1440p, im very happy so why would i want to spend extra money i don't have on parts i don't need,

what i do need is very good cooling so i can push the hardware i do have to the MAX 🙂

I hope that helped answer your questions

Antronman
Level 10
There is no rule. Just wondering 🙂
Sorry if I seemed a bit of a bully.

Antronman wrote:
There is no rule. Just wondering 🙂
Sorry if I seemed a bit of a bully.

No worries, but please give me a bit more time to show my vision, 🙂

I'm always open to new ideas from people who enjoy the same things as myself and im sure there will be a better way to do what im doing,
after this is done and if i still have the time i would love to do another build bettering what i will be doing in this build.

Not too sure what your going to say about me using bits of old wardrobes to make my desk lol

BTW, im not posting on Gigabyte forum so that must be a + 🙂

Antronman
Level 10
You're using bits of old wardrobes? Wow. I would actually recommend just buying a nice wood desk. I have had an Ikea one for years now, and it has a ton of drawers and shelves. I could probably use it as a computer desk quite easily. It even has nice holes cut into the shelved portions for power cables. Almost like it was meant to house a computer.

deblow
Level 9
😄
Yes, im using parts of my broken Ikea wardrobes, a 6 or 7yo desk top and shelf's from a UK store called Argos and glass made for me by a company i use to work for a couple of years ago.

at the start it wont look that great, but it will get better i promises 🙂