cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW a write-off?

ResidentAlien
Level 7
Hi,

I have a G46VW, about six months old. It has been in heavy use every day with no issues at all until now. But the last time I plugged my Nexus 7 tablet into a USB socket, the laptop screen went out and to all appearances the machine died - except that the power switch and lights remained illuminated and there was NO way to turn it off.

I've been around computers a long time so the first thing I would normally have done is to pull the battery, let it settle down and then try again. But of course, there's no way to do that on this laptop short of opening it up.

So I opened it up. I've opened up laptops before, I'm not scared by the experience and generally know what I'm doing, more or less. However, when I lifted the keyboard up off the case, the ribbon detached from the motherboard. It didn't get forced, it just came apart. It didn't appear to be soldered on, and there seemed no way to put it back. I gave in and took the machine to a repair shop.

They now tell me that the machine is a write-off because it needs a complete new motherboard assembly, since there's no way to reconnect the ribbon connector outside of an Asus factory, where, they tell me, the ribbon connector is heat-sealed to the board using some arcane factory machinery.

Maybe this is true, but I don't know. To write off a new machine that costs close on $1000 because a connector has failed seems ridiculous, but this repair shop has an excellent reputation and says nothing can be done.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts about this one? I can't afford to write off this machine and can't afford to replace it. Many thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

code9523
Level 9
The guys from service are correct. It's looks like the flexible cable to KB is fastened tightly to motherboard and there is no way to put it back if unfastened...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Asus-G46VW-BSI5N06-Motherboard-NOT-WORKING-Damaged-AS-IS-/3311050855...
So you need to replace whole motherboard or send it to asus but I think the cheapest way is to replace MB or use a USB keyboard with your laptop.
For future: Before disassembling your laptop cell phone etc. WACH GIDES OR READ SERWICE MANUALS like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ut1FGFj0s
Laptops have same bodies but inside they may have different features witch are a manufacturer specifics!
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Thanks for that. Reading around it looks like I am not the only one to have this issue and yes, it seems there's nothing to do but replace the motherboard and then, hopefully, find out why the laptop died in the first place.

I'm still not impressed with Asus design on this one, because I don't believe anyone should have to dismantle a laptop just to access the battery or the HDD, and clearly they could and should have used a different style of connector that was solidly soldered down. After all, it's the most vulnerable connector in the whole laptop and it's just not sturdy enough. Having said that, it was my clumsiness that dislodged it and I have to eat that. I will pay special attention to these connectors in the future and treat them with much more respect!

Incidentally I had seen the YouTube video you mention and was fairly confident that I knew what I was doing, but your advice to do the research before touching a machine is still very wise. Even if you think you know it all, RTFM.