cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Board or bad chip? Unstable with ANY overclock

nme_tv
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I'm far from an expert at this kind of thing so if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. I have past experience with mounting hardware but OCing is new to me.

I recently purchased a brand new rig:
Noctua nh-d14
i7-4770k
Asus Maximus Hero VI
RipjawsX 1600 ram 16gig
Nvidia 780
Corsair RM750 Psu

Ever since I assembled it I've been having major stability issues. After passing a few days running memtest86+ I discovered that one of my two 8g ram sticks causes major errors. After removing that dimm from the machine my stability increased from about 15 mins to 45 mins at idle. Less under load.

Once sure the single ram stick created no issues (memtest86) I allowed the Asus Bios to auto detect the overcloak settings. Any setting above the default (which is detected at 3.5) causes the system to BSOD producing a WHEA_Uncosrrectable error. The majority of times the system cannot even enter windows. If it is successful entering windows it crashes within a minute or two.

After running a short Prime95 and viewing my temperatures instantly go up to 98c (with the noctua). (i stopped the tests out of fear). I remounted the noctua fan, CPU and the paste. I didnt see any improvements. I resorted to installing the stock fan just to see. It seems to have helped my stability issues as I was able to use the PC this night with no crash for a couple or hours. Prime95 still instantly causes 98c temperatures with the stock fan and the system still requires stock settings to even load windows.

I'm using RealTemp to track the core temperatures. 2 of the 4 cores are listed as Log and the other 2 as OK.

Could the noctua not be laying properly on the cpu? the idle temperatures were around 31c. Ive been trying to resolve these BSOD over the past few days and now I'm at kind of a loss. With the Noctua even the default setting will eventually cause a BSOD. The stock fan had one BSOD tonight then after I was able to use the machine for a few hours.

The cpu seems faulty to me but I'd like to be a little more sure before sending it in to RMA, it will not accept any setting above default without BSOD.

Attached are pics of my cpu-z screen.

Any help greatly appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hi nme_tv, Welcome to the ROG community. I'm far from an expert too but I think I can help you. Do you have your RAM set up manually or X.M.P.?

nme_tv
Level 7
I had it set to default but the Gskill customer service had me set it to XMP profile 1 when I was troubleshoot the ram issues.

Nate152
Ok here is what I would like you to do. I would like you to shut your pc down and install the other stick of RAM, then boot to your BIOS. Hit F5 to set defaults, Go to extreme tweaker tab and set the AI Overclock tuner to manual. Set the Dram voltage to 1.5v the frequency to 1600 and the first 4 timings in the Dram timing control, let all other RAM timings on auto. You do know the timings for your RAM kit don't you? After you do this run memtest again and see if you still get the errors.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there

What bios version are you using and how did you update the bios if you have done so?

It is not normal to have your system go that hot so quick at stock even with the stock cooler. Something is not correct.

Please confirm that your system runs that hot after a Clear CMOS and all bios settings reverted to defaults. F5 and enter in bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

nme_tv
Level 7
I updated the bios this morning to the newest version. I had been to scared to flash it because of the stability issues.

With the new bios Prime95 still instantly (and I mean instantly) produces temps of 98c+, one core hit 100 which scared me so I stopped the test again right away and rebooted. (still on the stock cooler and not the noctua for now)

All the settings are reverted to defaults.

Should I still Clear Cmos after a bios update and check again?

I'll run the ram test suggested this afternoon aswell.

Thanks for the replies guys this is a little over my head I think.

Nate152
Do not be intimidated, What I suggested you do is set up your RAM manually. Sometimes X.M.P. and cpu level up can make your machine unstable. Both those settings make my machine unstable. You can run a cpu temp monitoring program while running memtest just to be on the safe side. See that it is below 80c when running memtest, your cpu is running hot under full load. Yes you can hit F5 to set defaults after the bios update. Did you use a FAT32 formatted usb flash drive and the EZ flash tool to update your bios?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nate he is having this heat on defaults mate. Lets sort that out first before we try and do anything with ram or even think of a OC.

Memtest86+ is a DOS application run from a USB stick and there is no temperature monitoring application that will run with it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes everything is on default settings.

I updated the bios off a usb using the EZ flash in the bios tools.

Surprisingly the stock cooler seems to be providing some stability to the system. Idling around 41 and under 20% load its in the high 50s and low 60s.
I think that's still kinda of hot? I'm not sure.
I cant seem to achieve this kind of stability with the noctua cooler. I'm going to try remounting it again tonight although I'm nervous to mess with the system now that it has some stability.

Under large loads the temperatures are still through the roof.

Nate152
Yes , no overclocking with temps as they are. Let's see if we can get you much better temps before testing the RAM. Remove the stock cpu cooler and remove the thermal paste with a soft cloth. After you get most of the thermal paste off add a few drops of isopropyl alcohol to the cloth and gently rub over the cpu. Add thermal compound the size of a small pea and spread it over the cpu with a credit card, it is IMPORTANT to make sure the thermal paste is SPREAD EVENLY COVERING ALL OF THE CPU. I would install the Noctua cooler. Start at a corner, tighten the screw until it is snug, go diagonal to the next corner and tighten until it is snug. Do that with all four screws. Do not over tighten. We want to see cpu temp at 80c or below at all times.