cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brass clip blown out of G75VW SOLVED

Clintlgm
Level 14
While Blowing the dust out of my G75 VW, this Copper Spring came out. Any of you guy's that have had one apart do you recognize what this does. Its copper and I can see where it was soldered on to something on one end 33086
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro
13 REPLIES 13

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Clintlgm, hopefully the unit is still working okay?

Don't recognize it, but how big is it (size of a penny etc.) and are you sure it came from the notebook, or could have something else blown out and hit that item that came from somewhere else?

Although I never tear apart the G75VW, just a little surprised anything could have came loose and wondering how powerful of a blower you were using.

Well, hopefully somebody else recognizes it if I'm wrong, but just wanted to run this idea by you.

Dreamonic
Level 12
IIRC, this is what broke off

It's used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other AFAIK.

Dreamonic
Level 12

Looks to me like its nickel plated.

It's used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other AFAIK. Mine was only glued on, not soldered. Go figure.

Dreamonic
Level 12

Looks to me like its nickel plated or perhaps brass.

It's used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other in that area AFAIK. Mine was only glued on, not soldered. Go figure.

Dreamonic
Level 12

It's used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other in that area AFAIK. Mine was only glued on, not soldered. Go figure.

You'll note under the keyboard tray directly above it, there is a small cut out on the underside of the fake speaker like grille mesh area where a foam pad sits. This would compress that 'spring' like standoff. It must have a dual purpose besides elevation. I want to think shielding or grounding of some kind...

Dreamonic
Level 12

It's looks as though its used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other in that area. Mine was only glued on, not soldered. Go figure.

You'll note under the keyboard tray directly above it, there is a small cut out on the underside of the fake speaker like grille mesh area where a foam pad sits. This would compress that 'spring' like standoff when the keyboard tray is snapped into place.

Well the only thing I have found, is that I can no longer read the GPU Fan Speed. I ran Furmark a bit to verify that the fan is actually working.
But yes it does seem that it was soldered on.
I'll get another picture with a coin.
I said copper but Brass would be more likely as it does seem to be a spring Could be copper plated Steel too?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:

I said copper but Brass would be more likely as it does seem to be a spring Could be copper plated Steel too?

According to the best look I can get, it's either brass or brass plated. A penny is copper colored. This isn't. 🙂
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

Dreamonic
Level 12
I can't see it having any relation to the GPU fan speed sensor since that spring is located on the CPU side. Sometimes HWiNFO doesn't show GPU fan speed near the EC sensor list area as I've seen it down at the very bottom before as well. You may want to confirm that first.