cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Mod

G4MER
Level 9
Greetings ROG'ers

I am about to start a project for a new PC MOD. I was eyeing the ASUS mother boards at CompUSA ( Tiger direct ) and I really love the new military style and colored boards. So I am planning on doing something with one of them. I have always been an AMD and nVidia kinda guy.. but with this system I am willing to step out side my comfort zone and try something new. I am building the case and everything myself.. so this is gonna be one serious endeavor that I hope I am up for. I have been talking with my good friend Josh, and Bitterfun ( I use his call sign because I am not sure he wants his name out there ) about some ideas I have and they have let me know they will be happy to help me all they can... even though they are both fantastic moders and builders, it does not hurt to have more people in your corner. So if you all have any advice or suggestions on my plans as they come along.. please share them with me.

I have all these ideas in my head for different mods.. being a hobby carpenter building furniture and stuff I want to build something outta wood some day, but this first project will be more simple and small. I want to have something to take to PAX next year to enter in the Case MOD contest. so I have to figure out which idea I want to go with and get started soon.

So with all that said.. I'll be posting some ideas soon.. thanks for your time.
WINNER Of: iBUYPOWER / ASUS - GAMER PALADIN Z68

CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
MoBo - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
ODD - BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive
PSU - 850W Extreme Gaming Series Power Supply
VGA - ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II (1 GB)
Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory – Corsair Vengeance
Audio - ASUS Xonar DX
Networking - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
Hard Drive - 60GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s – Single Drive

( I WAS A G4MER, WHEN G4MING WAS UNCOOL )
9 REPLIES 9

Cyrekk
Level 10
I am excited to see what you do man, I look forward to the updates!
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

xeromist
For your first build I would go with something you plan to keep for a while. A lot of modders start a new mod as soon as the last one is finished and then they are left with a bunch of cases they never plan to use and can't really sell for a good price. Either that or start a project that will be for a family member.

If it's going to PAX then I suspect it will be flying? You'll probably want to make something sturdy yet compact so that it will travel well and you don't want it too heavy since it will be moved a lot.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
.... A lot of modders start a new mod as soon as the last one is finished and then they are left with a bunch of cases they never plan to use and can't really sell for a good price. Either that or start a project that will be for a family member. .

sound familar .........

G4MER
Level 9
Oh no.. I don't fly. Its against my religion. God Said stay out air planes, so I do. Every flight I have been on something bad has happened. The stories I could tell. Besides the way Air Ports and the people who work at them now behave, they can choke on a small pickle for all I care. Sorry for the tude dude.

Anyways, yeah the first system I build will be for my Kid, and the plan is to make it small, and sturdy. I am mostly inspired by Josh Sniffens work, if you have not seen anything by him you really need too. I like how he makes computers more than functional, he makes them art pieces. I don't want just a box with some extra holes cut into it, or painted a fancy way. I want something that is fun to look at and can kick your ass in a game of BattleField 3. 😉 lol. I am thinking of building something military styled with the new ASUS mother boards.. not sure what yet, not sure if I will try to build the case or use some old military hardware... have to look into it a bit more.

Thanks for the advice and support.. I appreciate it.

Audio - ASUS Xonar DX

G4MER wrote:
I am thinking of building something military styled with the new ASUS mother boards.. not sure what yet, not sure if I will try to build the case or use some old military hardware... have to look into it a bit more.

I think this would make a really cool mod
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

chrsplmr
Level 18
No offense G4mer, but I have to ask, did your God also mention that everytime you flew something good happened? You landed.

What occurs in American Airports is Simple Assault and several other government sanctioned felonies.
Sorry for interupting..ModON.

G4MER
Level 9
LOL.. Uhm well that's cause he likes me.. I mean come on, I did win that PC right. 😉 LOL, But yeah after 3 flights and near death experiences on each of them.. I got the message, and no longer fly. I agree with your second statement too, another reason I no longer mess with flight. But yeah Back on topic.

OHH Xeromist that would indeed make an awesome mod.

( Stupid Question - why is there this large gap between my post and the bottom of the field? Can I fix that somehow? )

Audio - ASUS Xonar DX

xeromist
The signature block always falls below the avatar/info block on the left. The only thing that you could do to shorten that gap would be to shorten your avatar(bringing everything up slightly). Personally I think you should keep it that size though. It's a good size and that's just the way this board software works.

G4MER
Level 9
Ahh okay, that explains it. Thanks for the info.

Okay the wife says I should make a LEGO MAN case.. how would I go about doing that?

Audio - ASUS Xonar DX