cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LuxMark OpenCL score never changes

DoGood
Level 9
I have been overclocking my PC this weekend. I started using the 4.4GHz CPU Level Up and then manually overclocked to 4.6GHz. My first final score was 80808 and I've worked my way up to 85533. The one thing that has been consistent has been the OpenCL score at 24569. EVERY test has been 24569, regardless of CPU, RAM, or Video settings. It doesn't fluctuate a single digit; always 24569.

I haven't found much on what LuxMark OpenCL really does and nothing on what would affect its processing. What can I do to improve my score?

My Current OC:
CPU 4.6GHz @ 1.350V
Cache 4.6GHz @ 1.330V
Video:
Core Clock +104 (Core: 1189, Boost: 1241)
Memory Clock +348 (1927)
MonkeyForce9
a.k.a. "DoGood"
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.4GHz * Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Asus Maximus VI Hero * G.SKILL Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified 3GB Video Card x2 SLI
ASUS PB278Q 27" 1440p Monitor @ 80Hz
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD * Asus Blu-Ray Burner
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W PSU * Corsair Obsidian 550D Black Case
Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard * Razer Naga Molten Mouse
Razer Tartarus Keypad * SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can OC the GPU and/or install the Intel open CL sdk which will run open cl portion on CPU as well as GPU...:D or even switch to AMD GPU which have much better open CL drivers....but overall this part of the test does not weight much for the final score...

DoGood
Level 9
I would consider this score worthless. The overclocking of my GPU core and memory clocks do not affect a single digit of the score. I find it difficult to believe that my PC is in the exact same state during this test as it had been in the 10-15 previous benchmark runs. I am not exaggerating when I say that it has been 24569 every time.

I would say that this is a calculation based on static numbers and not a benchmark. It shouldn't be considered in determining the final score at all.
MonkeyForce9
a.k.a. "DoGood"

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
:confused: it gives you a benchmark to measure against other cards. It therefore shows you relative performance for Open CL which you can compare to other cards. That is useful if you have open CL work to do and are considering a card to do it...

Differences have to be reflected in the final score and are...however the differences in the other tests are weighted differently and in line with their importance to an average user would be my guess. Giving it no weighting makes no sense.

If it depends on number of physical cores not how high they are clocked and driver support then the physical characteristics of the card and driver support would be the limiting factors and as such a perfectly valid metric for comparison...

DoGood
Level 9
I was under the impression that RealBench was a tool to measure benchmarks of actual performance and specifically to overclocking. I'm not looking for argument on the matter, but I think we're going to have to conclude that we disagree on the validity of this score in a benchmarking tool for overclocking.

If I wanted to compare cards' cores and other physical characteristics, I would look at the box. I want to know how hard I can push my PC and the affects of what I do on its performance which includes the video card overclocking. I thought RealBench was supposed to do that. I would say that it is not accomplishing that goal if a score never changes.

If I run the benchmark 5 times in a row without changing any settings, all of the scores should be close, but different. Its statistically improbably to have the same exact score if it was truly benchmarking the performance of the system. The number I am getting is absolutely static. It is not a benchmark of the PC's performance at its current state. The image editing, encoding, and multi-tasking have never been the same number. If they never changed like the OpenCL value, then this software would be pointless other than a based comparison of components. You'd use it once. Compare it to other people's configuration and move on. It certainly wouldn't be beneficial to benchmarking OC. And so my point is, if the OpenCL is going to be a static value based on physical characteristics, then why is it in an OC measuring tool? And why does it waste my time assembling a picture if the value is always the same.

I am not interested in testing the compatibility of my video card with OpenCL. I am interested in testing the performance of my video card which includes the driver and overclocking settings.

Am I the only one that has this issue? Am I the only one that believes a static value is not helpful in benchmarking?
MonkeyForce9
a.k.a. "DoGood"

DoGood
Level 9
I guess I needed a little more time to research this than I had previously. For those with the same question as I had, I'll attempt to explain what I've read at a high-level. For those more versed on the topic, please correct me if I am wrong or misleading.

From my understanding, OpenCL and Nvidia's CUDA are APIs that attempt to accomplish the same thing. They allow code to leverag the supporting GPUs, APUs, and CPUs to perform parallel processing and really push the processing power of the chip. More here: http://www.techdarting.com/2013/06/what-is-opencl.html

From what I've read, Nvidia is not too enthusiastic about making the best of OpenCL since their focus is on CUDA. Perhaps they just support the API framework so that software that depend on the standard won't fail on Nvidia cards. That's just an assumption on my part though. AMD seems to have taken more of an effort to use the power of OpenCL.

I am an Nvidia fan boy, so switching to make OpenCL perform better is of interest to me. Unfortunately, this makes RealBench an unsuitable tool for me to compare my build to others. AMD cards appear to run circles around Nvidia cards when using OpenCL despite any efforts of overclocking the Nvidia card.

This still doesn't explain why my OpenCL score is the same number every time I run the benchmark. I find that very odd and, again, highly improbable for a real benchmark result. Since this is the case though, RealBench isn't even a good tool for me to track my own progress in overclocking.

I do not have any two cents on a possible solutions. People smarter than I have probably pondered the issue thoroughly.
MonkeyForce9
a.k.a. "DoGood"

Praz
Level 13
Not only is OpenCL dismal at best when using nVidia it is broke with nVidia drivers from 327.23 to present. People using programs such as madVR have been complaining about this constantly. However, because nVidia does not wish to properly support an industry standard is no reason not to use it in the benchmark in my opinion.

Nodens
Level 16
a) It has been stated repeatedly that the OpenCL test does not factor much on your total score. It weighs much much less. Meaning the only way that it will make a difference for you is if you are at the limit of your system's performance.

b) As you found out the OpenCL test has nothing to do with 3d performance. It is GPU accelerated computing.

c) There is no 3D test yet in RB.

d) OpenCL is the open API. Meaning it runs on every GPU. CUDA on the other hand runs only on Nvidia hardware. For this reason we could never add CUDA test.

e) We know OpenCL underperforms on Nvidia and that's a matter of the driver. The hardware can certainly do it. Nvidia should just fix their drivers (just so you know I develop exclusively on Nvidia cards. I only have outdated AMD cards for testing. Know that there is no AMD bias here whatsoever).

f) If you score is literally stuck at that score it means one thing and one thing only. There's something wrong with the driver you have installed (and I dont' mean the slow performance of the nvidia driver..I mean bad driver or corrupted driver) or your system in general. The OpenCL test is not static at all. It renders a scene using OpenCL and checks how many thousand samples per second your card(s) can do. Stuck number means something is not working right on your system. Start with reinstalling the display driver.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

DoGood
Level 9
@Arne, I can see now how my very opinionated replies to you were not very polite when you did take the time to share some knowledge with me. Thank you for your insight. Its appreciated.

@Praz, It seems Nvidia is far more indifferent to OpenCL than I thought. Thank you for your insight. Its appreciated.

@Nodens,
Thank you for your suggestion on the video card driver. I have reinstalled it twice during my adventures in OC, but no change. What I have not tried is downloading RealBench again. Since its a simple unzip and run, I made an assumption that not much could have gone wrong. Perhaps a serious oversight on my part. I will give the video card driver one more go as well as a new RealBench download. I do appreciate your suggestions of possible causes and fixes.

I became a ROG fan and came to this forum to learn, so I appreciate everyone's feedback. I can see my frustration with the stuck number and confusion with the use of this score has shown in my previous posts. I apologize if I was offensive.
MonkeyForce9
a.k.a. "DoGood"

DoGood wrote:

@Nodens,
Thank you for your suggestion on the video card driver. I have reinstalled it twice during my adventures in OC, but no change. What I have not tried is downloading RealBench again. Since its a simple unzip and run, I made an assumption that not much could have gone wrong. Perhaps a serious oversight on my part. I will give the video card driver one more go as well as a new RealBench download. I do appreciate your suggestions of possible causes and fixes.

Perhaps try a different video driver version. It may be that the particular driver version has an issue with your particular card. System instability can also cause RB files to get corrupted so having the zip file ready to extract a new copy when in doubt is always handy.
Other than that you can also try "sfc /scannow" on a command prompt with admin rights to see if any windows system libraries are corrupted.

That said the OpenCL/CUDA Nvidia issue is a matter of company politics. Nvidia came out first with GPU acceleration with its proprietary CUDA and established a market hold there. CUDA runs only on Nvidia. If Nvidia starts paying proper attention to OpenCL so that it performs good on the cards, then developers would have no incentive at all to use CUDA. They would go for the one size fits all approach of OpenCL (why bother if it performs the same and runs on everything?). Nvidia just wants to starvate the competition and maintain their grip on GPU acceleration. There's corporate politics for you:)
As much as I prefer Nvidia hardware and of course Nvidia drivers (specially Nvidia drivers heh), compared to whatever AMD has to offer, I believe that in this regard they are absolutely wrong. They should either open the CUDA API or merge its technologies with OpenCL and focus entirely on performing better and being more stable instead of trying to control the market like this. This is my own personal opinion for whatever it matters.

Still the point is that a low OpenCL score won't affect your system score much. The difference that it makes you can surpass by optimizing and tweaking your system. Points in the other tests are worth WAY more (The formula will be revised if Nvidia straightens their OpenCL support out)!
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.