cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to download source code?

DFarthen
Level 7
Hi ROG Team,

I really like the ROG Realbench software and I would like to modify it for my own personal testing purposes. Where can I download the source code?

Thank!

- David

(ps: before anyone shoots me down, I'm asking for the source code because both GIMP is produced under the and Blender are open source under the GPLv3(+) license. This license requires any modified public versions of the software to be open source too (source: "But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to ...)
4 REPLIES 4

Nodens
Level 16

DFarthen
Level 7
Ah, thanks for the information! Keep the good work up! :cool:

DFarthen
Level 7
I just read through the explanation provided in the (now closed) thread and I believe the source code should still be made freely available. Both GIMP and Blender are licensed under GPLv3, which requires full disclosure of any derivative work.

"GPLv3 adds more clarity with regard to what constitutes a derivative work. For example, GPLv3 states that if the program is "specifically designed" to work with a GPL-governed library, then the library is considered part of the overall work and the entire application is governed by the GPL. However, if one could swap out the GPL library for another library (i.e., if the application wasn't "specifically designed" to work with the GPL library), then it's not part of the overall work and would not be governed by the license." (~ http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/edge/08/mar08/curran/)

Realbench was specifically designed to work with the GPLv3 governed applications GIMP and Blender, since it's not possible to swap out either and obtain the same application functionality.

Or am I missing something?

Praz
Level 13
The RealBench source code will not be released. It is shortsighted at best to believe that the source code for a competitive benchmark would be made available so a person could modify it and manipulate the results of the benchmark at will. I agree with Nodens as to the licenses allowing for this to not be released. If you think this stance is in error please contact the appropriate entities regarding your concerns. The thread linked above in post #2 expands on this and there is really no need for any other thread here on the forum about this. Thanks for your understanding.