Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help! R3F occasional A/V Stutter

Hi, I have an occasional Audio/Video stutter when listening/watching different media files. the best way I can describe the stutter is that the audio sound is it's like a repetitive da,da,da,da..........approx 12-18 of these "da" sounds in about 2 seconds to with a quick video freeze for each "da" .

The stutter is not dependent on the type of media (CD's, DVD's, Mpeg, AVI, MKV, MP3, FLAC). It can happen with any media or media player

All my drivers/Bios are the latest. I keep hoping that a driver upgrade will fix this problem but, the only constant is this occasional stutter (about 2-3 times a day with heavy PC use)

I was using a creative titanium HD sound card with really buggy drivers so I replaced it with a HT Omega eClaro thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't.

I built this PC in Dec. of 2010 and this issue has been there from the start. I originally thought the stutter was due to the onboard sound but, 2 sound cards latter and the stutter persists.

In my many reformats to try to get the titanium HD sound card to behave in a somewhat less buggy manner I did not install any onboard sound drivers. I also have the onboard sound turned off (disabled) in bios as well as the HDMI sound drivers for my 2-HD 6870's disabled in device manager.

I have swapped my video cards PCIe positions as well as trying them each individually.
    I have tried a different video card (HD 5750) from another PC. All resulting in the same occasional stutter.

When the stuttering occurs I get a Event ID 501 warning:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
    Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
    Diagnosis : A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time.

Sometimes I also get this :

Event 500

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
    Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

While trying to rule out the video cards I checked my PC with SIV64X (System information Viewer). According to SIV64X all my PCI buses (includes PCIe) have this error "I/O Access Memory Access Bus Master System Errors" with the exception of my secondary video card.

The really strange thing is that My system benchmarks fairly well for what it is. It passes burn tests with flying colors and scores 7.8 in the Windows Experience index.

The only other thing I can think of worth noting is in the 10 months since I built this PC is I have had some problems with RAM.

My first 24gb kit was G. Skill DDR3 1333. 2 of the 6 sticks stopped working in about 3 months.

My second 3-8gb G. Skill DDR3 1600 kits did not work from the start and I sent them back to Newegg for the my third kit.

My third 24gb kit was Corsair DDR3 1600. I'm still using this now but during this time I received the 24gb DDR3 1333 warranty replacement kit from G. Skill and again it lasted only a short while.

I don't OC my Corsair DDR3 1600 (more than 1600) . It can't handle it and I only OC'ed my G. Skill the little that "Level Up/level 2" would do.

I do not exceed the manufacturers DRAM volt ratings However for complete stability with the Corsair I bump the QPI up to 1.25v

Anyway I am out of ideas with the this stuttering problem and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

A few things come to mind based upon the info you have provided.

1) Fresh OS install may be required - got any codec packs installed, they can sometimes cause issue? Could also be down to an old install with lots of services running.

2) Try turning off C3 and C6 stsates in BIOS and see if it helps.

3) Wondering if this has anything to do with your SSD/HDD RAID setups...

-Raja

Thanks Raja@ASUS,
    I really appreciate the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    A few things come to mind based upon the info you have provided.

1) Fresh OS install may be required - got any codec packs installed, they can sometimes cause issue? Could also be down to an old install with lots of services running.
    Like I said in my previous post , I have done a lot of reformats to try to get the titanium HD sound card to behave in a somewhat less buggy manner, but the stutter remains. As far as the codecs go, I've had a fair amount of experience with large codec packs and codec conflicts so from the very start with this build I've tried to keep the codecs to the minimum of what i need. I only install the codecs I need as I need them but that said, A/V is the majority of what I do so I have a lot of software and codecs dedicated to that purpose. However again the same stutter that I have now was present at the beginning before I added all that stuff.

2) Try turning off C3 and C6 stsates in BIOS and see if it helps.
    Could you expand on this I'm not sure what your talking about?

3) Wondering if this has anything to do with your SSD/HDD RAID setups....
    I've tried running my OS from a single 7200rpm hard drive but the stutter persists.

One thing that makes me think the problem may be MB related is when checked my PC with SIV64X (System information Viewer). All my PCI buses (includes PCIe) have this error "I/O Access Memory Access Bus Master System Errors" with the exception of my secondary video card. Again that's ALL PCI buses on the MB not just the ones that you can plug an add-on card into.

That kind of leads me to suspect the NB/SB and CPU interactions are not quite right, what do you think?

Anyway thanks for responding Raja. If you could expand on the C3 and C6 thing that would be great.
    Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

C3 and C6 are low power states and can be found in the CPU configuration section of BIOS.

What are you using to cool the IOH on the board?

-Raja

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    What are you using to cool the IOH on the board?

-Raja
    Do you mean the northbridge? If so just the 14 fans in my case (the little asus fan included) My NB temps never go above the high 50's infact they usually stay in the mid to low 50's.

Yes, that's the IOH.

Right now the my IOH volts are set to 1.131 and my IOH PCIe Volts are 1.515 should anything be increased since I'm running 2 graphics cards?

OK, I went into bios/Advanced/CPU configuration/Intel (R) C-State Tech.

" Intel (R) C-State Tech" Is that right? If so it was already set to disabled.

Something else just happened though. When I went to shut down I hit "shut down" by mistake instead of "Restart" . The PC never completely shut down. Windows appeared to close properly and my monitors went blank but the PC never turned off until I did a hard shut down after about 10min. This happened twice in a row.

In the 10 months I have had this PC this has only happened twice before and never twice in a row.

ROG Enthusiast Array

and did u try different speakers/headphones ? - sorry couldnt reisst
    anway if you are able to get 2nd mobo to check if everything works thats would be best and fastest idea , or go to nearest pc serwis and ask them if they could test it or loan you mobo for test , and if you was overclocking redo everything to normal state and check if slutter persists

Actually I think I've tried everything but a different MB. Before starting this thread I called Asus Support and got an RMA#. I just thought I'd give it one last shot before tearing my PC down and waiting for my MB to be fixed.
    I've only got 2 more months of warranty left and about 3 weeks left for my RMA# so this is definitely my final try.

Just checked Asus I thought I only had a 1yr warranty but, found out it's 3yrs. Very cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast