cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding RealBench's bundled programs and licenses.

Nodens
Level 16
RealBench is an application written in C++ using the Qt Framework (v5.1) which automates the execution of several programs (with specific parameters) in an efficient (per task goal) multithreaded way, times their performance and creates a score out of those timings, based on a formula devised by me.

The subprograms included are:
GIMP (licensed under GPL)
Handbrake (licensed under GPL)
Blender (licensed under GPL)
7zip (licensed under LGPL)
VLC( (licensed under GPL)
Luxmark (licensed under GPL)

All of the above are bundled along directly as binaries. No part of their source has been implemented in RealBench, so RealBench is NOT a derivative of any of the above. This means that RealBench is not bound by the GPL license and its source belongs to ME as these are just bundled along. The GPL license allows the distribution of any binaries made from any GPL licensed source. If the source was modified in any way, the modified source has to be made readily available or be bundled along.

The Qt Framework that Realbench's source directly depends on, is licensed under LGPL and since RealBench is linking dynamically to the Qt libraries, its source can remain closed.

For all the above bundled programs, precompiled x64 binaries were used. With one exception. Luxmark was depending on Qt4. This dependency would force me to pack additional libraries (Qt4 ones) with RealBench so I modified the source in order to compile Luxmark and its dependencies with Visual Studio 2012 toolchain and the Qt5 libraries that RealBench was already using. The modified source was sent to one of the Luxmark developers, I had been in contact with, and is also available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64810339/luxmark_qt5_vs2012.7z
This covers the licensing requirements of Luxmark.

CPU-Z is also bundled along under direct permission, from CPUID, for it to be distributed by ASUS.

These are all the facts regarding the licensing involved. Any requests for RealBench's source should be directed to this sticky that explains everything. Demands for the source will simply be ignored.

Thanks!
Nodens

ATTENDUM: The clause in GPLv3 about derivative work specifically states:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html wrote:

The “Corresponding Source” for a work in object code form means all the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to control those activities. However, it does not include the work's System Libraries, or general-purpose tools or generally available free programs which are used unmodified in performing those activities but which are not part of the work. For example, Corresponding Source includes interface definition files associated with source files for the work, and the source code for shared libraries and dynamically linked subprograms that the work is specifically designed to require, such as by intimate data communication or control flow between those subprograms and other parts of the work.

None of the programs bundled with RealBench are linked as shared libraries or as dynamically linked subprograms. RealBench is NOT a derivative of any of these programs. Period.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.
0 REPLIES 0