cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realbench or prime?

Lynkdev
Level 10
Just started using realbench 2 and liking it more than prime. Been reading around and wondering if my 4.7 oc 3930k passes on realbench after a couple hours, is prime pointless? Ive used it and seen my temps hit mid 50's with both but im finding it easier to dial in a stable OC just by running the bench. Encoding and Heavy multitasking were failing till i hit the sweet spot on vcore.

Been running at 4.6 for a year without going any higher, and i might be able to hit 4.8 here in the next few days:o
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
The video encoding test is the harshest test on Realbench and stresses your cpu a little harder than prime95. So yeah, prime95 is not needed. A stable 4.7 GHz. overclock with mid 50's temps is excellent. I see 4.8 GHz. coming.

Thanks Nate, next will be my 690 oc through precision. I’ve been told by a friend that a stable overclock should pass heaven and prime together. Previously @ 4.6 and stock clocks id get a BSOD while attempting this...although prime alone was fine for hours.

Does heaven only test out GPU overclocks? Will be testing again tonight with 4.7

chrsplmr
Level 18
Are you asking for Vote or opinion ?

I think I hear you asking to choose between @Nodens/Asus/ROG RealBench v2
and [imho] roast the system to no point.

Vote ? RB.v2 is more than a benchmark or stability gut check, imho, it is definitive.

as to prime .. respect, but now there is better weighted views. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Are you asking for Vote or opinion ?

I think I hear you asking to choose between @Nodens/Asus/ROG RealBench v2
and [imho] roast the system to no point.

Vote ? RB.v2 is more than a benchmark or stability gut check, imho, it is definitive.

as to prime .. respect, but now there is better weighted views. .c.

Thanks chrs, more of an opinion. Im no expert in either of these but RB seems a lot more easier to understand and manage an OC with. I like it, and felt like opening up a xmas present after coming across it last night lol.

Nate152
Heaven is a benchmarking program, it gives your pc a score to see where you stand with others. Realbench is a great program to test the stability of your cpu with and is all you need. I personally would not run prime95 and heaven at the same time. To me, that would be like hooking up a volkswagon to a tractor and trailer and saying can you pull it? Kind of senseless in my point of view. One thing I will tell you about overclocking your gtx 690 is, you will not be able to adjust the voltage on it. Nvidia has locked the voltage. What I can tell you is you should be able to hit 1241 MHz. on the core. As for the memory, you will just have to play with it and see.

Nate152 wrote:
Heaven is a benchmarking program, it gives your pc a score to see where you stand with others. Realbench is a great program to test the stability of your cpu with and is all you need. I personally would not run prime95 and heaven at the same time. To me, that would be like hooking up a volkswagon to a tractor and trailer and saying can you pull it? Kind of senseless in my point of view. One thing I will tell you about overclocking your gtx 690 is, you will not be able to adjust the voltage on it. Nvidia has locked the voltage. What I can tell you is you should be able to hit 1241 MHz. on the core. As for the memory, you will just have to play with it and see.

Point taken 😄 Ill stick to RB from now on. Ill adjust only my clock later tonight and see how high i can go..idle temps on both gpus are 28c under water..BF4 brings them up to 44. Should be able to get something out of this card.

haihane
Level 13
quick question, is there a way to run realbench2 and not having it pause while you go and do something else?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Moving the mouse stops the Realbench test so, the answer is no.

that's probably the reason my vote swings towards prime95.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.