cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I guarantee that my rig is reading the correct temperatures?

Hyper_Droid
Level 8
As the title says, How can I guarantee that my rig is reading the correct temperatures?

I'm about to finally OC my 4770K, but... I would like to assure that the temperatures are being read correctly... Is the a way to guarantee it? As you'd imagine, it would be horrible if something wasn't read correctly, and the CPU would get ruined...

Thanks guys! 😉
Maximus VI Formula I Intel I7 4770K I Corsair Vengeance 16Gb @1600Mhz I 240 GB Corsair Force GS Series SSD I WD Caviar Black 2TB I Corsair H100i I Seasonic 1250w I Corsair Obsidian 800D I 2x Sapphire R9 290s (2x4GB) in Crossfire I 3x BenQ 2450hm 24" in Eyefinity I Razer Chimaera Headset I Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse I Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard

Youtube: HyperDroids // Instagram: @latesttech4all
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Hyper Droid wrote:
As the title says, How can I guarantee that my rig is reading the correct temperatures?

By running only one temperature measuring program at a time. Use HWMonitor.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
This is actually a much more complicated question than that, if by "correct" you mean exact. To get a true and reliable temperature reading, you really need to calibrate your preferred program to account for hardware variances, ambient temperature, and software weaknesses. Just like software rarely reports voltage accurately, it rarely reports temperature accurately either. Click the link below and scroll down to the section on "Calibration" to get an idea of what I mean....

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

This is why I generally try not to "toe the line" of TJMax with my oc. If you clock your system so your cores sit right on the edge of "too hot" it's entirely likely they're actually well past the limit much of the time. Keeping it 5-8 degrees below TJMax at most is probably a lot safer.

Either way, though, your chip won't "get ruined" because of running too hot as long as you have the appropriate safeguards in place and turned on. Your chip is designed to shut itself down in the event of serious overheating long before it would actually get ruined. It's the "a little bit too hot" over a long period of time that is more concerning.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120