cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for Photoshop CS5?

krispyk
Level 7
I've been looking at these laptops mainly used for Photoshop CS5. I have always been a desktop user and am trying to do my homework before buying (I'm in the market for new, just trying to decide laptop or desktop). Would either run cs5 well or any laptop for that matter or should I stay desktop? Also I would like to run a dual monitor setup when home to watch movies and surf the net on one while PSing on the other. Lastly, PS writes to a scratch disk so thinking a small ssd for scratch disk.

Thanks for any and all help. Also I love overkill but hate slight disappointment.

ASUS G73SW-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Blu-ray/DVDRW, 17.3" Full HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Black, 2-Year Warranty / 1-Year Accidental Damage

and this one,

ASUS G74SX-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 12GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Blu-ray Player/DVDRW,3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M,17.3" Full HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64,1-Yr Warr./1-Yr Acc.
11 REPLIES 11

Br4nd3n
Level 9
Both computers will easily run Photoshop, in fact you can run Photoshop and play a graphic intensive game at the same time without experiencing CPU spikes. The 2630qm I7 (Which is a quadcore if you didn't know) is a superior CPU that will have no problem running any software on the market.

I use Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 on my G74Sx (Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Dreameweave) and it's extremely fast. The minimal CPU requirement for Photoshop CS5 is a intel core duo.. which is WAY far behind the 2630QM I7.

You can dual monitor easily with either laptop, I have hooked up dual monitors to my TV via the HDMI port on the PC and it's super fast.

I do recommend the G74SX-XT1 over the G73, just because the 560m is a better GPU upgrade then the 460m.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |

Br4nd3n, I know it's not a fair comparison, but do you enjoy PS as much on it as a desktop?

Br4nd3n wrote:
I do recommend the G74SX-XT1 over the G73, just because the 560m is a better GPU upgrade then the 460m.

The 3GB model of the GTX 560m is a better GPU. But I've heard that the 1.5GB GTX 460M is superior to the 2GB GTX 560M. Just wanted you to be aware of this.
ROG G53SW-XN1 | i7 2630QM | 14GB RAM | Nvidia GTX-460M | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | 500GB HDD | Win7 Ultimate x64

Thanks ES. Ya I still havn't decided what I'm doing yet. lol

chrsplmr
Level 18
KrispyK....Still no laptop? You need to get your ROG on..hehhee...Best of Luck.c.

Chastity
Level 10
Max out the RAM and set up a RAMDISK to run the apps from.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

chrsplmr wrote:
KrispyK....Still no laptop? You need to get your ROG on..hehhee...Best of Luck.c.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been out of the house and can't take the desktop with me. Boy I defintely need to get my ROG in gear. lol

Chastity@ASUS wrote:

Thanks Chastity. That's an avenue I hadn't heard yet.

Chastity@ASUS wrote:

Chastity, I have 14gb of RAM, but I also have 128gb SSD boot drive, any benefit to using RAMDISK as well?
ROG G53SW-XN1 | i7 2630QM | 14GB RAM | Nvidia GTX-460M | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | 500GB HDD | Win7 Ultimate x64

chrsplmr
Level 18
Nothing against the rest of us....but thats right from the Laptop Goddess herself....... you know,
like carved in stone..c.