Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    dashdot

G74sx, freezes and reinstall.

Hello. Need to ask someone with more experience.
    My Asus g74sx have started to "not respond" randomly.
    And Ive tried to find the isssue, but so far it's impossible.

It have been working perfectly for a very long time,
    but all of a sudden firefox/internet explorer started to not respond.
    and when that happens alot other system stuff wont work.

Like CTRL ALT DEL, nothing.
    Boot, nothing(have to use the switch to turn it off)
    Open new programs/change volume and so on. Nothing
    BUT if I already got for example World Of Warcraft up, its still running
    And if I tab into it it's still running perfectly, but nothing else is working as it should.

I'm really confused and not really sure what to do, other then reinstall of w7.

Also.
    Is it possible to use ASUS recovery WITHOUT it making the HDD into 2 portitions
    with one "for recovery"
    Because I got 2 HDDS.
    And I dont want asus recovery on it.

I want it to be w7 ONLY.

Considering using my orginal w7 disc instead because the recovery program is
    pretty much ****. From what Ive experienced already anyway.

All possible help is welcome.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array irdmoose's Avatar

First off, have you updated the drivers for your graphics card from AMD's website? Sometimes an outdated or flaky driver can be the issue.

Second, the Asus recovery discs that you (hopefully) burned when you got your laptop allow you to set up the drive with either a single partition with Win 7 (plus a small hidden partition for the recovery) or to have two or more partitions, so you can set up your drives the way you want. However the recovery partition will always be there. It's not that big (only 20 gb), and it can come in handy if you have to do an emergency restore away from home.

You can go the route of using a Windows 7 retail disc (or Windows 7 image) to do a clean install of windows, but if you haven't made your recovery discs yet, I would highly recommend doing that before you do a clean install of Windows 7. Also, if you go the clean install route only delete the partitions for your existing system and the recovery. Windows 7 sets up its partitions differently than previous versions. It actually uses two partitions (the first partition is 100MB and houses critical boot and system files and the other is the rest of the drive) by default. Just make sure that you install the latest drivers for your graphics card from AMD, and the rest of the hardware's drivers from Asus.

Chastity made a sticky post near the top of the forum with all of the links that you'll need.

If a clean install of Windows (from either the factory recovery or the Windows 7 media) doesn't solve the problem, then you may need to do a RMA to get it repaired since it's likely there's a hardware issue going on.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

From your description, it sounds like your laptop is in a pre-system lockup state. You can stil play World of Warcraft, but cannot launch any new programs. I'm sure the longer you used your system, the more it would become unresponsive until you reached total lockup.

Did you notice the lockups appeared after installing a new program or making any changes to your system? Since your G74SX has been stable in prior times, does a System Restore to an earlier time resolve your issue? That is much less involved than a System Recovery.

What Antivirus and Firewall is on your system? The G74SX comes with a Trend Micro trial. Make sure Trend is uninstalled or completely disabled. You could also check in Device Manager. Click on View - Show Hidden Devices from the top menu, then expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers. You don't want to see any Trend Micro drivers listed there if you are running another Antivirus.

Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic and/or CHKDSK are 2 quick tests to determine if bad memory or a bad HDD is responsible for the lockup.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dashdot
    Im using Panda global prot. 2012.

Im not really sure sinice I havnt done any big changes.
    I reinstalled my nvidia drivers from BETA to Official(WHQL)
    Will see if this stops it..

Also remembered something while I where looking for the problem.
    Suddenly heard my drive starting spinning.. My first thought was lol, it seriously cant be that.
    But I recently watched a dvd on my laptop and forgot to take the cd out.
    Thats pretty much the only thing ive changed...

Now I just have to wait and see.
    Will reply again later.

EDIT:
    1.And like you said Dstrakele.
    Thats pretty much what happend. Stuff stopped working, not responding. and the longer it went on my screen just turned black once.. and only option were to boot. xD
    But will reply again soon.
    2. Seeing that IRDmoose recommended me to install the lastest drivers from AMD lol.
    Asus G74SX is equipped with a NVIDIA gtx560M :P Just sayin'

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

It's rare, but believe or not, Windows Updates can sometimes result in system lockups. If Windows Update is automatically installing updates to your system, you won't know if this is the change that caused your system to become unstable.

I configure Windows Update to let me choose when to install updates. I typically install the Security updates immediately, but I read the KB articles on any "Important" updates to decide if I really want to install it. If I am not experiencing the issue resolved by the update, I don't install it.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

In any case, it can't hurt to update your wifi driver. Look here - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...ll=1#post33953
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dashdot
    It's still messin' with me. stuff stopped to respond.
    So I tried to boot. booted very slowely and then a error came and it said something like this "Safety options wasnt availble blablabla. if your OS is not responding use the power bottom"
    GRRRR.
    Annoying.
    Might do a clean reinstall tomorrow with orginal w7 ;/ sinice you cant reinstall without getting the recovery part..
    Im using a SSD. so 20GB is a big deal for me.

dashdot
    Okay, did a clean install of w7 today(with the orginal w7 disc)
    And It's been running smooth so far. However.
    I havnt managed to get my WIFI working yet.
    Installed wireless console + realtek lan drivers.

But aint working yet.
    Trying to figure out what's missing xd

dashdot
    think im missing the ATHEROS drivers only.
    CHecked their site but they had like 300000 different drivers. so didnt really know what to download <.<

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

If you look at that post from Chastity I linked above, there's a direct link to the most recent Atheros driver.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast