cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

290x directCU II Coil whine

Nephelim
Level 7
So I got two of my radeon r9 290x directCU II yesterday. Both of them have coilwhine, one is really bad and does it on idle, wich is a sure RMA for me.
The other one was not as bad and I tried to leaving it in to see how it sounded after a while. But the more I hear it the more crazy I go. Now I can even hear it when scrolling a webpage, so I guess thats going back aswell.

I tried overclocking, downclocking, increasing volt and decreasing volt but nothing changes. Overclocking and/or overvolting ofcourse makes it a tad bit worse.

I was hoping the custom pcb and the black caps and all the other marketing skeems would eliminate coil whine, but guess not. I know its coils vibrating that causes the noise, some also says its a combination of the hardware used, is that true? If so is there any other brand that would be better to use than asus for the gpu?

I'm using a Be-quiet! 1200w PSU on rampage IV BE and a 4930k.
1 REPLY 1

Nephelim
Level 7
The store happily took back my 2 cards but unfortunatly didn't have any in stock to give me. So guess im GPU-less until AMD can restock.

since some say its the power delivery system combined with the psu that causes it, am I better of getting a reference model instead? since that delivery system will be the same with the next asus 290x direct cu II