cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your thoughts on my under 2k build idea?

MayhemViaAllsta
Level 7
Budget: $2010

Main uses of intended build: ArmA 2 OA heavily modded for realism, ArmA 3 Muliplayer, Star Citizen, and BF4

Parts required: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Qgxn

Previous build information (list details of parts):
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 60 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION Eureka3 (CPU 1) 37 °C

Graphics
VX922 (1280x1024@60Hz)
HP w2338h (1920x1080@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (XFX Pine Group) 64 °C

Hard Drives
488GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3500320AS ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Monitor resolution: 1920x1080

Storage requirements: 2tb

Will you be overclocking: yes 4.2-4.8

Any motherboard requirements SLI to add another card in the future

Extra information about desired system: I am wondering how future proof it is going to be, specially the CPU. The 4770k is a g
reat chip but for how much longer? What do you guys think of the build? Anything you would change? I am hoping to get it built in about 5 months.
15 REPLIES 15

Antronman
Level 10
Get a fully modular, 80+ Gold or Platinum PSU. And a Corsair H105 cooler. All current-gen builds usually need to be upgraded when the next generation over the next one is released. I would drop my RAM down to 8GB in order to buy a nice 240-256GB SSD, and the GPU to a GTX 780.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I'm not yet convinced (lack sound, empirical data) that SSDs are as valuable for a strictly gaming rig as they are hyped. It seems that the ~$250 you'd save by just going with a platter could be sent to your cooling budget.

A modular PSU will cost $20 more, and is totally worth it if you are a cable-neat freak. Otherwise, you could shave $20 off the build and send that to cooling.

I'm not an Intel guy, but I know that they run super hot compared to AMD, and I've read on threads in this forum that an H100i is great for light-duty, but falls tragically short for any serious overclocking. However, most reports show the H100i outperforming your selected cooler. But, if you go with a platter drive, 1866 RAM, and a non-modular PSU (though at this point it's not really critical for cost), you'll have a nice round ~$350 available for a more formidable cooling solution.

Antronman
Level 10
Intels do run way hotter, but they still outperform AMD. The CPU architecture is just too much better.

MayhemViaAllsta
Level 7
Does anyone have an estimate on next gen chip's release? It seems like it's about that time again... Yeah I need a better PSU you guys are right.

Antroman: Why the downgrade to the 780? Is the extra money of the TI not worth it?

Dr. Z: I have been thinking about a AMD build for a while. If I were to go that route I would probably go with the AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition

What are your guy's thoughts on that chip?

And I have heard many different things about what close loop is the best. It's like fishing, everyone has their own theory

MayhemViaAllstate wrote:
I have been thinking about a AMD build for a while. If I were to go that route I would probably go with the AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition

What are your guy's thoughts on that chip?

Insofar as I can tell (based on my FX-8320 Vishera and those of people I've talked with), these suckers are hot for AMD chips. All I can say about the 9590, with relative certainty, is that you will have almost no choice but to water cool it (or use a sweet air rig like Noctua's NH-D14 - I don't work for Noctua, but I'll sell one to anyone). With that cooler, however, you'll need to pay VERY close attention to available space around RAM and case-width.

I, for one, build with AMD simply because I have consistently built machines that are both rock solid and exceed my needs for at least a few years, and all that at half the cost of an Intel build.

MayhemViaAllstate wrote:
And I have heard many different things about what close loop is the best. It's like fishing, everyone has their own theory

I wish I had the resources to try all of the closed-loops available - hahaha.

Antronman
Level 10
Corsair is regarded as the best by many.

abvolt
Level 11
Your list looks great and welcome to the board..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

MayhemViaAllsta
Level 7
I have done some snooping around. I found out a couple things not related to above but I would like advice on them. Firstly, my intention really is I am centering around ArmA 3. I am a seasoned Arma 2 player (Hit me up if you wanna play) and I am not naive enough to buy the third one with my current specs. The ArmA series due to being un-optomised and having so much stuff going on is such a HUGE world is very CPU intensive. I am surprised I pull 15-20 on ArmA 2's multiplayer. So after I posted this I thought "What is the cheapest I could go, without minimizing performance?" I ended up dropping quite a bit of money (Around 500) but I have a question,

For a extremely CPU intensive game will all this "No difference between 4670k and 4770k" be true still? I don't think so. I wanted to know your guy's opinion. Secondly, I realized that Intel is planning on coming out with a brand new chip set. Thats exiting but at the same time not really. This would be my first build and I would hate to get into the game late..... make a PC and then a brand new chip come on the market. I guess that comes with the territory though, right?

So to summarize,

1) Here is another more affordable build I am considering http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Qsff -The proc is tied between 4670k and the 4770k

2) For a CPU intensive game such as ArmA 3, will there be a noticeable difference between the 4670k and the 4770k?

3) Should I wait to build until Intel releases their new chips?

PowerOver9K
Level 9
I sit in the SSD is worth it boat.

I also sit in the you get what you pay for PSU boat.

I love your build just please put an SSD in it.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity