cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another G750JH High temps thread...

GrieverXVII
Level 7
Hey ROG community, Got my JH a couple of weeks ago, so far loving it. but a few things have my concerned for sure.

first is the inability to adjust the touchpad settings at all, ie) sensitivity. tracking, etc.

next and the most concerning is I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to control the temperatures within this thing. obviously when i'm gaming on battery the computer downclocks itself pretty good so it doesn't wreck the battery but i seem to sit around 55-65c temps on gpu which is nice to see. the moment this thing is plugged in though it returns to full power mode and even playing the simplest of games gets me to 75-80c on average. this scares me because all over the net people say to not try to be at or go over 85c...yesterday i was simply playing kerbal space program for 10 minutes and my gpu alarm went off saying i was going above 85c!!!

I have adaptive settings set in the nvidia control panel so it can adjust clock speeds accordingly, i find it frustrating though that nothing i seem to adjust or tweak or download can give me better temperatures, the only way is to run on battery and it chugs the games too much, but plugged in just gives way too high temps for the simplest of games...

what's going on asus!?
6 REPLIES 6

sasuke256
Level 7
75 80 for a gtx 780m ?! Thats nice man ! especially if the ambiant temp is 25deg C 🙂
Other brands cant reach these low temps..
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

are you actuallly being serious or sarcastic, sorry can't really tell.

nazgullz
Level 7
yea the temps are high, just checked mine - idle temps of the cpu is 37-40c while playing cod:ghost it was 64-68c
and gpu was 41c idle and 73c while playing cod:ghost.
make sure nothing blocks the airways on the back of the laptop

GrieverXVII wrote:
are you actuallly being serious or sarcastic, sorry can't really tell.

Your temps are quite good so I think sasuke was being serious. I'm not sure why your alarm's threshold is set to 85 C, but if you're concerned, you can notify Asus (the laptop may require a repasting of the thermal compound). As long as your vents and fans are not obstructed by anything and it's not triple digits temperatures where you're computing, the system should not overheat.

nazgullz wrote:
yea the temps are high, just checked mine - idle temps of the cpu is 37-40c while playing cod:ghost it was 64-68c
and gpu was 41c idle and 73c while playing cod:ghost.
make sure nothing blocks the airways on the back of the laptop

Those are excellent temps too! Griever's are not high for notebook standards still.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

noone
Level 8
So many general ideas of safe temps, but <80 deg seems to be fine. As you're going over without a demanding game, I'd be considering asking Asus support what they think.

IMO the variances in CPU and GPU temps across the G750's seem to be a little worrying. The 765m in my JW does not approach 80deg, but its has no where near the grunt of the 780m. On the other hand, if I stress test my CPU, I see some potentially worrying temps.

For peace of mind, I'd get Asus to make the call, if they say its fine, get them to put it in writing so if it does go pop, it was their call.

hey thanks for the replies everyone, i actually did more deeper research on the matter last night and found out on the facebook page actually with talk of the gtx780m and how i guess gpu's these days and the silicones used can handle typically up to 115c and are supposed to hover around 80-90c as a standard; so after reading that i realized that i guess i must be stuck in the days of the gtx 200-400 series lol, i guess temp thresholds have increased over the time by a bit, i've kinda been out of the loop for awhile but it makes me happy to hear those temps seem normal. also i did have lower temps overall in canada, ive been in thailand for the past month where average day outside is 25-35c so it definitely is making my 750jh temps higher than im used too, but im still happy even under these conditions its running normally as what you guys have been saying.

I guess i read a thread on google saying that this gpu's temp threshold shouldnt go above 85c so i put an alarm on it with evga's precision. but then reading the facebook page and a post from an asus employee stating they can go as high as 115c and blah blah like i said above. so it's great again that you guys confirmed all this for me and now i feel more at ease knowing these temps are expected.

but dam this touchpad...is there anything anyone knows on how to change it's sensitivities and stuff? all i get is basic mouse functions in the mouse settings, nothing touchpad related.