cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW: Possible GPU failure?

Amaten90
Level 7
So, I seem to be having a problem with my just-over-a-month-old G750JW. I purchased this model from Best Buy back in December. Its been fine for the most part; I've had a couple of random crashes and freezers, but they seemed to be due to whatever piece of software I was using at the time.

This morning, I was playing some STALKER: Call of Pripyat, and my screen went gray and blank, the computer completely froze and I couldn't do anything. No mouse, no keyboard shortcuts...nada. So, I forced a shutdown by holding the power button down. When I booted the laptop back up, I saw what the pictures are showing below. Artifacts galore all the way down the screen. I got into Windows and did a proper shutdown and reboot this time. When it all came back up, the artifacts were gone, but Windows dumped my Nvidia drivers and reverted back to some Windows Basic Display drivers. I download the latest "stable" release from Nvidia's website and proceeded to reinstall them.

After the install, I rebooted, got back into Windows, and everything seemed peachy keen again. Jumped into another game, about 10 minutes later, same thing; screen went blank and gray, I couldn't input any actions, so I forced yet another shutdown. When I booted her back up, the artifacts were back just like before. (See pictures)

So, I said screw it and did a factory reset. I left the PC by itself to do its thing, and went to run some quick errands. When I came back, I was welcomed by a fresh factory install. I thought I would do ANOTHER factory reset just for good measure. Well...all was going right, when all of a sudden, the artifacts popped up midway through the restoration process... I figured that wasn't a good sign. No drivers were booted up, yet, here are the artifacts again... In fact, the pictures shown below were taken during the restoration process.

This took place with Windows 8.1, by the by.

I'm currently using the laptop to jot down this post, so, its currently working...but I am not sure for how long. I am now running the latest Beta drivers from Nvidia. It SEEMS to be okay. Everything SEEMS to be working. I ran about 10 minutes of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and nothing terrible happened. Although, when I exited the game, a very quick flash of artifacts appeared on the screen and disappeared just as quickly as they came.

I should also mention I ran RealBench, and when it came to the portion that tests the GPU, the system randomly shutdown without warning. Not sure why.

Temps aren't high at all. For the GPU, it BARELY reachs the 60 degrees celsius mark, whether thats in gaming or benchmarking. The CPU, on the other hand, hits 70 degrees celsius on a heavy load, and 80+ degrees clesius on 100% usage loads. (AKA Graphic rendering type stuffs)
But, from what I have read, that seems to be the norm, so...I honestly haven't a dang clue as to what the problem is.

10 REPLIES 10

Amaten90
Level 7
With all that said, I guess I would like to know what potential steps I should take.

Is there anything on my end I might be able to do?

Any insight anyone can throw my way?

Should I contact support and ship her off?

I'm just looking for some answers... I would hate to be out of $1200+ after just over a month of use...

I know, I know... That's melodramatic to say, don't mind me, I'm just venting.

angrylemon
Level 10
Looks like a blue Matrix, run DDU in safe mode and then install the latest GPU driver from the ASUS site. Also stay disconnected from the internet while doing so.

sasuke256
Level 7
Your bios is fully updated ? A lot of people got problems with 8.1 (asus n56jr)
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

This is most likely a software problem. The logo is clean as far as I can see.

angrylemon wrote:
Looks like a blue Matrix, run DDU in safe mode and then install the latest GPU driver from the ASUS site. Also stay disconnected from the internet while doing so.

Thanks for the reply. I ran DDU in safe mode and unintentionally installed the Beta drivers all of over again. But, everything actually seems to be okay now. I'll repost if anything happens.

sasuke256 wrote:
Your bios is fully updated ? A lot of people got problems with 8.1 (asus n56jr)

Yep yep, I updated the BIOS about 2 or more weeks back without any issues. When Windows 8.1 first came down the pipe, that's when problems seemed to have started.

man40 wrote:
This is most likely a software problem. The logo is clean as far as I can see.

I hope you're right! Software I can deal with, hardware issues give me a sad...

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Mr. Anderson?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Also, respect for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. ;d

Our cards are installed a little weird. Apparently our motherboard completely ignores onboard integrated graphics, and goes straight to the 770m / 780m card. ( Which is highly likely why we get tearing and 'jolty FPS' when off power/AC adaptor )

This being the possible truth, would have me assume that since you have no driver, your display isn't showing properly until you actually install a driver for your dedicated graphics card.

When all's installed, try run a RealBench, the Asus program for maybe.. two cycles or 10-15 minutes. See if the problem re occurs during use. If nothing shows, play a graphics intensive game.. and finally make sure it doesn't show on start-up when you boot the unit.

Hope it helps but take my post light hearted, this is a theory on my behalf. ;d

KoolASUS
Level 7
looks like a dead geforce, sorry. a broken gpu doesn't always show high temps.

Amaten90
Level 7
Yeah, seems to be hardware failure. I keep getting thrown into the blue Matrix, and not in the awesome 'I know kung fu' way. Now random shutdowns and stalls are becoming more prevalent.

Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I was instructed by Asus support over the phone to take it into Best Buy and let them handle it. Hopefully I'll have her back soon!

Again, thank you for trying to help, everyone!