cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Formula issues.

Retired
Not applicable
I just installed the Rampage III Formula motherboard, the i7 CPU that came bundled with it, and RAM into my computer.
I plug everything in and power it up and all the fans start up; the two case fans, the CPU fan, the power supply fan, and the Video card fan. Some of the mother board lights up(start button, reset button and a few others turn on. the SATA light, the ones that show voltage are all off), but I get no display.
When I press the reset button a different CPU light flashes once, as does the SATA light. Also when starting or resetting the front power LED just flashes instead of staying on like it would when it was working with the other motherboard.
While trying to fix it I tried intentionally unplugging the hard drive, then the RAM then the video card (some alone, and some combinations of the three). When any or all of these things are taken out, everything still starts the same way, so I am having even more trouble figuring out what is going wrong.
I have read that it could be the power supply, but the power supply was bought less than a month ago and should handle it(manual says 600W, this PSU puts out 650W). Can anyone point me in a direction that may solve this?

Parts:
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 17-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz Quadcore Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2x2GB) 240 - Pin DDR3 1600
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
(i dont now if I'm sharing any relevant information, I can provide newegg links, where i purchased them, if needed)
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
First, check the socket to see if any CPU pins are bent or damaged.

Remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on a non-conductive surface. Install only the CPU and one stick of memory. See if you can get a post and then add the GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you so much xeromist, Its working now :D. I'm not sure what actually solved it, but when I set it up outside the case it felt studier so I was able to hear a click with my RAM that I hadn't heard before, even though the camps had closed and it appeared to be in. That was the only main difference I noticed setting it up, Whatever it was, setting it up outside helped, so thank you.