cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking a 4930k on a rampage 4 extreme Black past 4.7ghz

Roxide
Level 7
To start off I am a relative beginner when it comes to overclocking. I am used to basic overclocking on previous boards like the Gigabyte z77x-ud5P where you adjust the core speed and the Bios took care of the rest. I used to get up to 5.1GHZ on that UD5P. I just recently built a new computer with the Rampage 4 Extreme with an Intel 4930K with 64Gb Crucial Memory and a Corsair H150 Water Cooler. I did see another post like this, however it looked like his issue was overheating. On my computer the second my frequency goes beyond 4.7 My computer shuts off and restarts. So if I try to set the core to 4.8 It will load until the login screen then the second I click anything it shuts off. By another scenario if I set the cores to 4.6 and allow them to go up to 4.9, when a core goes over 4.7 it shuts down and restarts. Now I've never dealt with voltage and the other parts of overclocking. I know that at 4.7 I am running a temp of around 34 degrees C so I feel that overheating is not an issue. I figured it might be memory or voltage related. Can anyone offer up their wisdom? Thanks

-Todd
2 REPLIES 2

DooRules
Level 10
There are simply not many 4930 k's that I am aware of that will clock higher. Of course some will but not many I think. Pure luck of the draw. I would also say that your chip cooling will limit you for sure at higher clocks.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Roxide 🙂

Just one thing..the temp you want to watch is not idle temp but load temp....i.e. the temp when running something that loads up the CPU....like RealBench or Prime95 etc. Download something like Realtemp and keep your eye on load temps. Start at lower clocks...like 4.4 4.5 to see temps and only once you are satisfied you have the room left in your cooling go for higher would be my advice.

For OCing do plenty of reading first...things like Raja's guide http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38018-Guide-Easy-Overclocking-with-Ivy-Bridge-E-%96-The-Lis... will explain what does what in BIOS and allow you to OC with the most efficiency...