Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array sigtrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    PC Build, what would you change.

    CPU i7-4960X
    MB Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    RAM GSKILL 64GB 2400
    SSD Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
    CASE Strike X
    GPU ROG POSEIDON-GTX780-P-3GD5 x 2

    So, I made this list, what would you change? Is this MB and GPU x 2 a good choice?
    Which ROG MB is best now, btw?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is the cream of the crop at the moment. You will not find any better motherboard. Personally I wouldn't change anything to be honest. Everything looks fine. You didn't list a PSU. Which PSU are you planning on buying?

  3. #3
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,360

    Hi sigtrm, That's sweet. Just to be on the safe side could you also tell us if you got the G.Skill Ripjaws-z?

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array sigtrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Which PSU are you planning on buying?
    Well, I am not sure about PSU yet, also I did not decide which cooling, my previous build had some Aerocool StrikeX 800W and I were happy with it, but for this I guess I need at least 1kW of power, since it has 2 x GPU. Any recommendations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hi sigtrm, That's sweet. Just to be on the safe side could you also tell us if you got the G.Skill Ripjaws-z?
    I took this one from QVL:
    http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-19200cl10q2-64gbzhd
    I am not sure what (XMP) means in QVL?

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!
    Arne Saknussemm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    498
    Posts
    13,532

    Hey sigtrm

    Well you asked so...

    I'd change the 4960X for a 4930K....since finding out the x are not binned any better than k and simply have more cache...unless it's the cache (or Caché ) you are after.

    The board...yessss!

    The RAM...again unless you are in the weird group that need 64GB I would go 32GB or 16 if I wanted to run 2400 successfully and without major tweaking headaches as a possibility.

    SSD...nice

    Case...whatever does it for you they are all pretty much alike...or , well for watercooling: Phanteks Enthoo Primo

    With the money saved I'd get a couple of 780Tis and watercool them myself or some EVGA hydro coppers if they come out or Nvidia's next offerings..titan black?

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    Quote Originally Posted by sigtrm View Post
    Well, I am not sure about PSU yet, also I did not decide which cooling, my previous build had some Aerocool StrikeX 800W and I were happy with it, but for this I guess I need at least 1kW of power, since it has 2 x GPU. Any recommendations?
    When putting together a powerful gaming rig, it's important to get a quality power supply. The power supply is the heart of your system after all. If I had to pick a 1000W unit out of all the brands available on the market today, I'd grab the Seasonic Platinum 1000W without thinking twice.


    Quote Originally Posted by sigtrm View Post
    I took this one from QVL:
    http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-19200cl10q2-64gbzhd
    I am not sure what (XMP) means in QVL?
    That RipjawsZ kit will work with the combination of components that you've selected without problems. You couldn't have picked a better kit to use with your system.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    29
    Posts
    1,374

    Who said you needed a 1000w PSU? There are some CFX/SLI rigs that run off of 750w PSUs. My recommendation would just be to buy an 800-900w PSU like the Corsair AX860i or the SeaSonic 860 platinum.
    Say hi to the next generation.

    Peace is a lie, there is only Passion
    Through passion, I gain strength
    Through strength, I gain victory
    Through victory, my chains are broken
    The Republic of Gamers shall free me

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array sigtrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post

    I'd change the 4960X for a 4930K....since finding out the x are not binned any better than k and simply have more cache...unless it's the cache (or Caché ) you are after.

    (...)

    With the money saved I'd get a couple of 780Tis and watercool them myself or some EVGA hydro coppers if they come out or Nvidia's next offerings..titan black?

    Yes, thanks Arne, it is reasonable to take K, i dont think that 3MB more of cache is worth 400$ ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    Who said you needed a 1000w PSU? There are some CFX/SLI rigs that run off of 750w PSUs. My recommendation would just be to buy an 800-900w PSU like the Corsair AX860i or the SeaSonic 860 platinum.
    800W PSU would not be enough, what about fans/cooling, some additional PCI cards and various USB powered stuff?
    after some calculations I think 1kW would be fine with some ~120W as backup ;-)

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    29
    Posts
    1,374

    Well that all depends on the fans. And USB powered stuff takes up hardly any wattage at all. Would not make a difference. By the looks, the 860 watts would just about be able to pull off a dual SLI full WC loop. But if you really want to, get a 900w PSU. 1000w is really just excess, unless everything you are buying will be OCd. In which case I would recommend lower clocked RAM. The 3MB of cache make a huge difference in multithreaded performance, but other than it does not. So the 4930k would be a better choice than the 4960x. And 64GBs of RAM is far more than you need unless you're going to be running a very large number of virtual servers on a single physical machine.
    Say hi to the next generation.

    Peace is a lie, there is only Passion
    Through passion, I gain strength
    Through strength, I gain victory
    Through victory, my chains are broken
    The Republic of Gamers shall free me

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array sigtrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    Well that all depends on the fans. And USB powered stuff takes up hardly any wattage at all. Would not make a difference. By the looks, the 860 watts would just about be able to pull off a dual SLI full WC loop. But if you really want to, get a 900w PSU. 1000w is really just excess, unless everything you are buying will be OCd. In which case I would recommend lower clocked RAM. The 3MB of cache make a huge difference in multithreaded performance, but other than it does not. So the 4930k would be a better choice than the 4960x. And 64GBs of RAM is far more than you need unless you're going to be running a very large number of virtual servers on a single physical machine.
    Hmm hardly you say?
    10 regular USB devices gives like 25W connect plus two iDevices and you will drain over 40W ;-))

    About ram, don't get me wrong some of us need a lot of ram, not everyone build their gaming PC just for gaming,some as you said can use tens of vm for fuzz testing, some will use ram preview in video editing apps, and some like to have all slots filled, some perverts will run sqlserver on their gaming desktop;-)
    Last edited by sigtrm; 02-14-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •