sigtrm
Level 7
CPU i7-4960X
MB Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
RAM GSKILL 64GB 2400
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
CASE Strike X
GPU ROG POSEIDON-GTX780-P-3GD5 x 2

So, I made this list, what would you change? Is this MB and GPU x 2 a good choice?
Which ROG MB is best now, btw?
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
The Asus Rampage IV Black Edition is the cream of the crop at the moment. You will not find any better motherboard. Personally I wouldn't change anything to be honest. Everything looks fine. You didn't list a PSU. Which PSU are you planning on buying?

Nate152
Hi sigtrm, That's sweet. Just to be on the safe side could you also tell us if you got the G.Skill Ripjaws-z?

Chino wrote:
Which PSU are you planning on buying?

Well, I am not sure about PSU yet, also I did not decide which cooling, my previous build had some Aerocool StrikeX 800W and I were happy with it, but for this I guess I need at least 1kW of power, since it has 2 x GPU. Any recommendations?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi sigtrm, That's sweet. Just to be on the safe side could you also tell us if you got the G.Skill Ripjaws-z?

I took this one from QVL:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-19200cl10q2-64gbzhd
I am not sure what (XMP) means in QVL?

sigtrm wrote:
Well, I am not sure about PSU yet, also I did not decide which cooling, my previous build had some Aerocool StrikeX 800W and I were happy with it, but for this I guess I need at least 1kW of power, since it has 2 x GPU. Any recommendations?

When putting together a powerful gaming rig, it's important to get a quality power supply. The power supply is the heart of your system after all. If I had to pick a 1000W unit out of all the brands available on the market today, I'd grab the Seasonic Platinum 1000W without thinking twice.

sigtrm wrote:

I took this one from QVL:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-19200cl10q2-64gbzhd
I am not sure what (XMP) means in QVL?

That RipjawsZ kit will work with the combination of components that you've selected without problems. You couldn't have picked a better kit to use with your system.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey sigtrm 🙂

Well you asked so...

I'd change the 4960X for a 4930K....since finding out the x are not binned any better than k and simply have more cache...unless it's the cache (or Caché ) you are after.

The board...yessss!

The RAM...again unless you are in the weird group that need 64GB I would go 32GB or 16 if I wanted to run 2400 successfully and without major tweaking headaches as a possibility.

SSD...nice

Case...whatever does it for you they are all pretty much alike...or , well for watercooling: Phanteks Enthoo Primo

With the money saved I'd get a couple of 780Tis and watercool them myself or some EVGA hydro coppers if they come out or Nvidia's next offerings..titan black?

Antronman
Level 10
Who said you needed a 1000w PSU? There are some CFX/SLI rigs that run off of 750w PSUs. My recommendation would just be to buy an 800-900w PSU like the Corsair AX860i or the SeaSonic 860 platinum.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

I'd change the 4960X for a 4930K....since finding out the x are not binned any better than k and simply have more cache...unless it's the cache (or Caché ) you are after.

(...)

With the money saved I'd get a couple of 780Tis and watercool them myself or some EVGA hydro coppers if they come out or Nvidia's next offerings..titan black?

Yes, thanks Arne, it is reasonable to take K, i dont think that 3MB more of cache is worth 400$ 😉

Antronman wrote:
Who said you needed a 1000w PSU? There are some CFX/SLI rigs that run off of 750w PSUs. My recommendation would just be to buy an 800-900w PSU like the Corsair AX860i or the SeaSonic 860 platinum.

800W PSU would not be enough, what about fans/cooling, some additional PCI cards and various USB powered stuff?
after some calculations I think 1kW would be fine with some ~120W as backup 😉

Antronman
Level 10
Well that all depends on the fans. And USB powered stuff takes up hardly any wattage at all. Would not make a difference. By the looks, the 860 watts would just about be able to pull off a dual SLI full WC loop. But if you really want to, get a 900w PSU. 1000w is really just excess, unless everything you are buying will be OCd. In which case I would recommend lower clocked RAM. The 3MB of cache make a huge difference in multithreaded performance, but other than it does not. So the 4930k would be a better choice than the 4960x. And 64GBs of RAM is far more than you need unless you're going to be running a very large number of virtual servers on a single physical machine.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Well that all depends on the fans. And USB powered stuff takes up hardly any wattage at all. Would not make a difference. By the looks, the 860 watts would just about be able to pull off a dual SLI full WC loop. But if you really want to, get a 900w PSU. 1000w is really just excess, unless everything you are buying will be OCd. In which case I would recommend lower clocked RAM. The 3MB of cache make a huge difference in multithreaded performance, but other than it does not. So the 4930k would be a better choice than the 4960x. And 64GBs of RAM is far more than you need unless you're going to be running a very large number of virtual servers on a single physical machine.

Hmm hardly you say?
10 regular USB devices gives like 25W connect plus two iDevices and you will drain over 40W ;-))

About ram, don't get me wrong some of us need a lot of ram, not everyone build their gaming PC just for gaming,some as you said can use tens of vm for fuzz testing, some will use ram preview in video editing apps, and some like to have all slots filled, some perverts will run sqlserver on their gaming desktop;-)