cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Date ASUS Swift PG278 1440p G-Sync Monitor?

Mycorrhiza
Level 7
So I went 1440p with my new Dell 2713H.
The res is awesome and the colours / blacks are just perfect.

I can still return it and would like to know when the ASUS ROG Gaming Monitor will arrive as I might return the Dell if the Asus arrives in time.

Will blacks / colours of the PG278 be anywhere close to the AH-IPS of the Dell?
I had the popular BenQ XL2420T 120hz monitor before and concerning panel quality the Dell beats it so easily that I am willing to sacrifice the smoothness of 120hz for quality even in Gaming.

So please Asus tell me, will the PG278 arrive in the next 1-2 months in Germany or is it still significantly off?

thank you 🙂
33 REPLIES 33

Lokiey
Level 7
i heard in a ces video it was gonna be around april/may when they were talking about it but fact is there not going to confirm until a week before like everyone else. I mean seeing as they just announced today that the titan black release date was the feb 18th just shy of a weeks notice i expect nothing less. i say if your really interested you just stick with whatever until the release unless you have to have a 27in right now then keep your dell.

Mycorrhiza
Level 7
Well more important is colour and black levels as the Dell is so damn good in them.

A significant downgrade in that department would be a no-go anyhow.

And yes, I cannot give up the 27" now that I have seen it's beauty. I got it from Amazon so I can return it until mid march. If there is no concrete data about a release until then I will just keep it anyhow and wait for the 2nd gen g-sync monitors most of which will probably have 1440p + 120hz.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Mycorrhiza...didn't know dell delivered to the rhizosphere...

But the TN gaming monitors won't really be a match for IPS colour wise...if colour work is important to you then stick with IPS....hopefully one of these days they'll launch an IPS 4K monitor with Gsync for $500 *fingers crossed*;)

You didn't? Most type of ants are their biggest customer! They just love the XPS Convertible 😄

Actually I don't want 4K... yet. I even have concerns with 2K 120hz. On BF4 my SLI GTX gets around 100fps on max@1080p. At 1440p I fear it would drop to around 80 (haven't tried yet), although one could lower AA a bit due to higher PPI.

So let's scrap 4K, but I would be willing to pay 800-1000€ if there existed an AH-IPS 120hz G-Sync Monitor!
Just looking at the deep black background of the forum is an experience in of itself!

Still the Asus is very tempting. VERY tempting mainly because of G-Sync.

What I was wondering: Shouldn't G-Sync work like a charm on IPS? I mean you would not have 120hz but still smooth pictures or are the 120hz required to give the smoothness?

Lokiey
Level 7
Well me personally im a multi monitor user and with the current g-sync needing a dvi you wont be able to run more then one that im aware of at 1440p resolution. I also do alot of photoshop work and web development so colors are very important to me and with that said my asus will be my main front lcd for gaming. Ill then use my 2 other side lcds for developing and such where i need the extra room and best color an isp can provide me with.

I think when it comes to gaming asus is bringing something to the table that no one else is and have been asking for a very long time. Sure ben-q and a few others are going to have versions of these in 27in but there all still 1920x1080 and 5ms response. When it comes to asus we not only get g-sync but more resolution and the ability to overclock to 144hz and a 1ms response. We also get the thinnest bezzles ive seen besides some of the 29in ultra wides which i wished they were doing a version of with g-sync and low response time but will be happy with the 27in.

I know it sounds expensive but personally i would keep your dell and then get the asus when it comes out for a second monitor and make it your main for gaming and have the dell for developing. I personally put 800 off to the side thats just sitting there waiting for the asus to be released to buy it. i say start saving and get it when you can because i dont think any of us will be disappointing to us one bit when it comes to high end gaming performance.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I blame HDMI squarely for the stagnation in display technology....we should be further on and hopefully the move forward will come soon http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/11/amd-solves-4k-display-problems-vesa-display-id-v1-3/

I have a U2711 it's the bees knees anyway and the response time is not 2ms but I have never had a problem gaming on it...the reverse...the billions of colours are great and I have them for Photoshop work too...etc etc.

Gsync is not so much about response times as refresh rate so it's actually better for IPS slower refresh rate panels yes! Bring it on. would mean less if GPUs were able to put out 120fps on 120hz monitors.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I blame HDMI squarely for the stagnation in display technology....we should be further on and hopefully the move forward will come soon http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/11/amd-solves-4k-display-problems-vesa-display-id-v1-3/

I have a U2711 it's the bees knees anyway and the response time is not 2ms but I have never had a problem gaming on it...the reverse...the billions of colours are great and I have them for Photoshop work too...etc etc.

Gsync is not so much about response times as refresh rate so it's actually better for IPS slower refresh rate panels yes! Bring it on. would mean less if GPUs were able to put out 120fps on 120hz monitors.

I have to agree with you i think we should be much further along and i think the market on 120-144 hz monitors is slim because of the amount of gpu power you have to put behind them. I feel this pain with 4 gtx 680's 4gb versions when im still straining to get 144 and above on top end games like bmao and bf4. I came to the conclusion that it would take 4 gtx 780 ti's or titan blacks ( feb 18th ) to get a steady 144+ FPS to take advantage of the 144hz lcd.

Now the big question is this because i honestly dont know the answer is will DP make the difference when moving from DVI or HDMI for some? There has to be a reason that the new upcoming g-sync panels are going to only accept DP in and out that no other input will work including for multi monitor use. The question is if DP does make a difference and with v-sync disabled because its no longer needed due to g-sync will this increase the FPS overall across the board thus higher frame rates on mid ranged cards?

This is important to know because as it stands if you cant even come close to breaking 100fps then having a 120/144hz lcd doesn't make any sense. It would also open the market on the sales of higher end lcd's if people knew g-sync was taking the strain off with v-sync no longer needed in games killing frame rates in mid range card users.

I think we need someone from asus to chime in that might be able to shed a little light onto this topic and maybe give a little better clarification. Im also concerned how running 1 g-sync monitor will act with 2 non g-synce's hooked up, will there be any conflict when gaming despite the other 2 lcd's not using the technology.

I do agree that ips's are better at something like a 5ms instead of 1ms but now were talking about a WQHD and not a IPS monitor. So how do we think this will effect them, there has to be a reason that they got the response time as low as possible right? I mean this is brand new for me because before my asus 27in 144hz IPS i just had a slandered lcd. Now making the move to WQHD i expect to see an improvement in certain areas like i saw when i got my IPS panel.

So will we see an improvement when you add WQHD,G-SYNC,120hz+ and 1ms response time when it comes to gaming including a boost in frame rate? Well thats the big question and unfortunately only the people at asus can tell us because im sure they test it extensively. This is the information we need released, when tested on the 10k rig to the 2k rig and what it will take to take full advantage of this panel with games on ultra settings prior to release.

I myself think the blame lies on consoles. the long life cycle paired with so called next gen that still can't even push 1080p@60fps has held back GPU development.

Progress in the last years was abysmal. So much so that 3 ancient Radeon 6950 in CF beat a Titan on pure performance and the Titan which is old by itself still has not been significantly bested.

My hope now lies squarely on Maxwell to provide the power push 1440p with 120fps+ at least in sli.
On the other hand a 60 hz ips gsync panel would be awesome, too for the moment.

with vsync I do feel some input leg albeit very slightly so I might just get the Rog monitor on top anyhow.
but I just decided that I will never give up that ah ips panel ever.

Yes consoles don't help either...

Mycorrhiza wrote:
I will never give up that ah ips panel ever.

And no, there is no way back from such a good screen in terms of colour and resolution.