cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene Code 55

leoster121
Level 7
My computer was running perfectly well and smoothly until this afternoon. I received a new video card this afternoon (GTX 760) and so this morning, I took it out to move things around so that the new card would be able to fit. I did not touch the RAM at all (research tells me code 55 is a memory error).

Anyways, by the time I got to installing the video card this afternoon, the system wouldn't boot. Tested every single module in every single slot, each time with a code 55. Reset the CMOS several times, no cigar.
Tried reflashing the BIOS, but the LED would go stable red after blinking, which from what I read meant it didn't work.

Reseated my CPU to no avail, and while it was out, I took a look at the socket and everything was dandy, no vent or missing pins. If I remove all the RAM modules, it'll have an error code 20.

Specs:

i5 3570k
GSkill Sniper 4x4Gb 1600
GTX 760 / GTS 450 (old)
32 REPLIES 32

Nate152
Hi leoster121, Welcome to the ROG forum. Sorry to hear you are having problems after your new gpu install. Could you power down your pc and try with one stick of ram installed and press the mem ok button then start your pc.

I still get the same error. It flashes at 20 then goes to 55.
I'm assuming the men ok button is the one labeled go button located right next to the 24pin atx?

Nate152
The mem ok button is the little red button right next to the LED readout. Code 55 can be a tough one to get sorted, it can also be the IMC on your cpu . I told you wrong, when your pc is started abd showing code 55, press the mem ok button.

Nate152
Yes that is correct but I told you wrong, start up your pc then press the go button once code 55 appears. Code 55 can be a tough one to get sorted. It can also be the motherboard or the IMC on your cpu. Since you said this happened after installing your gtx 760, a simple bios update might fix you up. If you are familiar with the bios update procedure, go ahead and update to the latest version.

leoster121
Level 7
Nothing. Still giving me a code 55.

Nate152

leoster121
Level 7
I've certainly tried to, but jot exactly sure if its successful or not. Formatted my usb to fat32, got the latest driver and renamed it to M5G.ROM and put it on the flash drive, used the ROG connect button, got the flashing LED for about 5 seconds, then the led stops flashing and goes stable.

Nate152
Ok try to update the bios with these steps, you got it right except for renaming it.

1. download the latest version from the asus website.
2. Format a usb flashdrive to FAT 32.
3. Extract the bios file and rename it to M5F.CAP.
4. Put the bios file on your usb flashdrive.
5. connect the usb flashdrive to the usb port below the usb bios flashback button.
6. press the usb bios flashback button for 3 seconds until the led starts to blink then release.
7. Wait until the led stops blinking.
8 Start your pc.

After doing this go into your bios and tool tab. click the ez flash utility and see if the new bios version is listed.

Nate152
Ok, just to be sure it updated, go into your bios to the tool tab, click the ez flash utility and see if the new version is listed there.