cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition + Storage HDD"s = Not Booting?

illusiV
Level 7
I was wondering, I have Windows Installed currently off of 1 Samsung SSD Evo 840 hard drive and everything is working fine. I try to install 4 SATA Storage HDD's, and when I try to boot up, the PC turns the fans for less than a second and goes off... I dont know if i need to do anything else as i thought it was just plug and play. Im not looking to do any particular raid setup or such, just need the other HDD's as storage. I also noticed an option called "Hot Plug Support" in the mother board bios options and didnt know if i had to enable it for the specified HDD's and then connect them.. Any help on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also running in the default ACHI (as it was when just the SSD was connected), also the HDDs are connected straight to the mobos sata ports and not 3rd party.
-Powersupply: Corsair AX860w, CPUID Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/kt8i8m
-Other 4 HDD's were taken from another PC, working perfectly fine 100% healthy with just files on it and no OS
20 REPLIES 20

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
They should just plug and play...no need to play with any BIOS settings. Be careful it sounds like something is shorting out....plug them in one at a time and boot and try different SATA cable maybe...

I kind of figured the same thing, just plug and play but it seems to an issue. The HDD's were working fine on older PC, i also tried using a 4 PIN molex connector instead of sata power connector, and no luck. Im wondering if the Hot Swap feature would work or tell me something, i have never used it before though. Anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT: also bought a startec 4x SATA to 1 SATA power connector, to connect 4 SATA drives to 1 Power port and this didnt work either..

Arne quick question for you i just picked up the rampage iv black im going to use 2 ssd 2 hdd they are all sata III (6gb/s)
1st ssd will be os and few programs
2nd ssd games
1st hdd media files
2nd hdd backup

I see the rivbe has 2 intel sata III ports and the rest asmedia sata III
I know i should connect the 2 ssd to both intel sata III
Will i be able to connect the other 2 hdd drive to sata III asmedia with no problems?

Thanks in advance

Arne quick question for you i just picked up the rampage iv black im going to use 2 ssd 2 hdd they are all sata III (6gb/s)
1st ssd will be os and few programs
2nd ssd games
1st hdd media files
2nd hdd backup

I see the rivbe has 2 intel sata III ports and the rest asmedia sata III
I know i should connect the 2 ssd to both intel sata III
Will i be able to connect the other 2 hdd drive to sata III asmedia with no problems?

Thanks in advance

illusiV
Level 7
Still having the issue, updates are as follows: tried using the hot swap option and computer completely turns off. I believe I came to the conclusion that its either a power supply issue or a motherboard issue, unsure as if its a power supply issue really since pc boots up with ssd...

Raghar
Level 7
So have you tried to plug in one HD?

And tried to plug in HD and remove SSD?

illusiV
Level 7
I tried 1 HDD at a time and i also tried disconnecting the SDD and booting from HDD to get to hopefully a bios screen and nothing..

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please tell me what case you are using. There have been many issues with cases that have a HDD caddy or swap out bay.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

illusiV
Level 7
Source 530