cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with ext HDD plugged in USB 3 port

Retired
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a very annoying issue with a WD MyPassport 1TB USB 3.0 ext HDD.

It is installed just fine and works somehow properly except for one fact:

When I copy files onto it or read a video from it, it will disconnect-reconnect instantly every now and then, interrupting the transfer or the video (windows plays the sounds of unplugging/plugging in a usb device).

Basically, the drive is rendered almost useless and I can't find any satisfying answer as to what causes such behavior and how to fix it.
I used it on a friend's Asus G73 and was able to transfer large amounts of data whithout any interruption on the usb 3.0 port. Also, the drive works fine on usb 2.0 ports but I lose the benefits of usb 3 speeds of course.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what could cause that issue and provide a way to fix it.

I own a G74Sx, I updated the Fresco USB 3.0 drivers as recommended by Chastity on another thread (by uninstalling former ones and then installing updated ones). I also disabled the power management feature of shutting down HDDs to save power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I find this issue to be infuriating^^

Thanks in advance,

Vincent.
4 REPLIES 4

JRd1st
Level 12
Since that drive is plugged into a usb port, perhaps the power management for the usb ports is causing this.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Well nevermind that.

Apparently the end of the usb cable that plugs into the HDD's case is a little wobbly and caused the pins associated with usb 3.0 not to connect properly sometimes, explaining the errors I was describing, and the fact that they were occurring in an irregular fashion. It also explains why the drive worked fine in USB 2.0 ports. So I just taped a little piece of cardboard to the case as to support the plug and it's been working like a charm ever since.

Talk about a dumb issue^^

At least, it might save some trouble to a couple of people experiencing the same issue with that model of ext. HDD.

EDIT
: Thank you JRd1st, I missed your reply since I was typing this post but as you can see I found a solution to the problem.

I had this same problem yesterday and after messing with it for several hours, and talking to ASUS tech support, couldn't get it to work. What did work, was buying a new external seagate hard drive that is self powered. It seems that the 3.0 port has a problem supplying enough power.

Chastity
Level 10
For USB HDDs, Seagate has been getting my business. I have a 250 + 2x 880's and never an issue, tho they're 2.0 devices
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]