cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Options on G74sx !!

Retired
Not applicable
I just bought a G74sx, on my first start up.
The "Asus AI recovery" ask me to do a factory default backup onto DVD ...and there is not an option to backup into a hard drive.(...i don't have blank Dvds)

The other option i have is to use the "Windows backup" which will backup all user files + system image onto a selected hard drive.

I am just wondering !

what are the difference between these 2 backup types ?

Which one is recommended ?

Which kind of backup actually restores the laptop to "factory default" ??

Thanks for all the help !!:D
9 REPLIES 9

Retired
Not applicable
The asus recovery option is their way of giving you recovery discs you just have to make them yourself. (these will restore everything to factory settings)

Windows back up is made to be a daily backup to help you recover accidental deletes and and if something gets corrupted if give you a way to restore to a time where it wasn't .

Hope that answers your question.

Chastity
Level 10
The easiest way for a factory restore is hitting F9 during POST, and running the Recovery Wizard. No need to make disks. For future backups, you can use Windows Backup, or a 3rd party like Acronis Home 2012 or Clonezilla.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity@ASUS wrote:
The easiest way for a factory restore is hitting F9 during POST, and running the Recovery Wizard. No need to make disks. For future backups, you can use Windows Backup, or a 3rd party like Acronis Home 2012 or Clonezilla.

This is good to know thanks !!

Just wondering ! When using F9 restore function is there an option to just restore the Windows file drive c:/ ? or it just restore to how i first start it ?

Thank you !

Chastity,
I just bought a G74Sx recently and i try to back-up the system using AI Recovery. After waiting several hours (6 hrs) the completion bars of the AI recovery was stock somewhere at 50 - 60%. I tried to re-start the whole process but AI recovery prompt "no partition exist" and the hidden RECOVERY partition was named E (10.4GB free of 25GB).

I tried to download and install the latest version of AI Recovery. But when i run it, prompted " The local backup of factory state Windows has been deleted. You can't use AI Recovery to create the backup copy of your factory state Windows". But the Recovery Local Disk still exist. I don't know what to do next.... please help me.

silversun wrote:
Chastity,
I just bought a G74Sx recently and i try to back-up the system using AI Recovery. After waiting several hours (6 hrs) the completion bars of the AI recovery was stock somewhere at 50 - 60%. I tried to re-start the whole process but AI recovery prompt "no partition exist" and the hidden RECOVERY partition was named E (10.4GB free of 25GB).

I tried to download and install the latest version of AI Recovery. But when i run it, prompted " The local backup of factory state Windows has been deleted. You can't use AI Recovery to create the backup copy of your factory state Windows". But the Recovery Local Disk still exist. I don't know what to do next.... please help me.

You're sure the recovery partition exists? It shows up properly in Disk Management? Your description, with the E: drive letter, really doesn't sound like the recovery partition.

If it IS there, and if AI Recovery just spits errors at you, and IF it's a new machine that you haven't customized much yet....I'd suggest you just go ahead and do a factory restore. Then try running AI Recovery right after it's done....with the version that's already installed.

BTW, just a heads up: CHastity isn't really around much anymore.

Chastity
Level 10
Yes, you can have it restore only 1 drive / partition.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Well this recovery revert the laptop back to the state it was at when I unboxed it and powered it on? I talking about the prompts that have you select language, timezone etc.

Testsubject3 wrote:
Well this recovery revert the laptop back to the state it was at when I unboxed it and powered it on? I talking about the prompts that have you select language, timezone etc.

Yes, it is a factory restore. There is a "hidden" recovery partition, the ASUS AI Recovery app simply splits that partition into multiple DVD images for you to burn so that should your drive completely die and you want to restore the factory install you have the DVDs to do so. They save money by getting the consumers to pay for the DVDs instead of shipping restore DVDs with each PC. The images/data burned to DVD are only from the hidden partition and nothing is copied from your active C: drive.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

JRd1st
Level 12
Acronis TrueImage Home = the best PC backup solution but it must be paid for.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com